Mar 9, 2012, 12:04 PM EDT
From NHL.com columnist John Kreiser comes this tidbit:
Stamkos is two goals away from becoming the NHL’s first 50-goal scorer this season. When he does, he’ll join an elite group of six players who’ve had multiple 50-goal seasons before their 23rd birthday (he turned 22 on Feb. 7).
Wayne Gretzky did it four times; Mike Bossy, Mario Lemieux, Joe Nieuwendyk and Alex Ovechkin each had two seasons with at least 50 goals before turning 23.
As that excerpt suggests, Stamkos is having a pretty solid year. His 48 goals have put him 10 clear of the NHL’s second-leading sniper, Evgeni Malkin, and re-ignited Hart Trophy discussions that were long thought to be done.
Some other notes about Stamkos’ scoring spree:
— That 10-goal cushion atop the Rocket Richard Trophy race is huge. In 2011-11 Corey Perry (50) beat Stamkos (45) by five goals; in 2009-10 Stamkos and Sidney Crosby tied with 51 goals while Alex Ovechkin finished with 50…you have to go all the way back to 2008-09 for a similar disparity between No. 1 and No. 2. That year, Ovechkin led the NHL with 56 goals while Jeff Carter finished second, with 46.
— Another tidbit from the NHL.com piece: Stamkos’ 144 goals are the most by any player since the start of 2009-10. Perry is next with 111, two more than Ovechkin.
— Should Stamkos get to 50 this year, it’ll be the second 50-goal campaign of his career. That’ll make him just one of seven active NHLers with multiple 50-goal seasons, joining Jaromir Jagr, Teemu Selanne, Jarome Iginla, Ilya Kovalchuk, Dany Heatley and Ovechkin.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)