Mar 9, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
Barry Trotz has heard all about Alexander Radulov’s potential return to the Nashville Predators: however, despite being the coach of the team, he says he has no idea if it’ll happen.
“Until I see the whites of young Radulov’s eyes, I won’t prepare for it because that’s the what if – if I won the lottery type thing,” Trotz said today, as per The Tennessean. “Yesterday a couple of people tweeted me or phoned me and asked me if he’s coming back? (Shoot) if I know.”
Radulov, 25, led the KHL in scoring in 2011-12 (63 points in 50 games) before his Salavat Yulaev Ufa team was eliminated from the playoffs.
He was also the league’s top scorer (and MVP) last year, racking up 80 points in 54 games.
Looks terrifying, too.
Update (5:59 p.m. ET)
As reported by The Tennessean, Preds GM David Poile says the ball is entirely in Radulov’s court.
“We’ve had more meetings than I’d like to remember in terms of talking to Rad or to his agent, and it’s really up to him,” Poile said. “We laid all the groundwork for him to come back, whenever that is going to be. But I think the groundwork has been laid over the last couple of years, and it has been available to take that opportunity. He’s the one who’s going to have to make that decision. I think I’ve been consistent since the day he left that he will eventually come back and play for the Nashville Predators and play in the NHL, the best league in the world.
“I’ve always felt he’s a player who wanted to compare himself to better players in the world, and I believe he wants to win a Stanley Cup in his career. I’ve always said he’s going to come back. The timing would be good for him and for us. You’re going to have to talk to him to see whether this is going to happen or not.”
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)