Mar 9, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
On the bubble: Los Angeles Kings
Where they stand: 9th in the West, one point back of 8th-place San Jose
Games remaining: 15
SportsClubStats.com says: 42.7% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
There’s too much talent not to. Before adding Jeff Carter from Columbus, they already had Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, Mike Richards, and Vezina candidate Jonathan Quick. The Kings have also improved in the goal-scoring department – since adding Carter, they’ve played six games and scored at least four times in four of them. In fact, they’re not even ranked last in offense anymore. Which is…something.
Why they won’t:
A really tough schedule. Over the next 10 games, the Kings will play eight teams currently in a playoff position – Detroit twice, St. Louis, Boston, Vancouver, Nashville, San Jose, and Chicago. And even the games against weaker sides won’t be easy, given all but one (Apr. 2 vs. Edmonton) are on the road.
“For us to make the playoffs, it’s pretty simple. Your best players have to be your best players. It’s not that hard to figure out. It’s not about singling anybody out, or anything like that. That’s a fact.” – Kings head coach Darryl Sutter
Key game coming up:
Tonight in Detroit, where the Red Wings are 27-4-2.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)