Mar 9, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins fans are salivating over the concept of Sidney Crosby coming back, but don’t be surprised if there’s at least an undercurrent of hesitation about ruining what they have going right now.
The Pens won their eight consecutive game after edging the Florida Panthers 2-1 in a shootout tonight.
While many are wondering what kind of damage the current build of the team + Crosby could produce in the playoffs, the more immediate future is getting more interesting. With this win, Pittsburgh is just four points behind the New York Rangers for the Atlantic Division lead after the Rangers lost 4-3 in regulation to the Chicago Blackhawks.
That loss provides a rather interesting proposition. The Penguins have two more games left against the Rangers this season, so if they beat them in regulation both times, the teams who essentially be tied.
Sure, the Rangers would hold tiebreaker advantages in wins (42 to 41) and especially regulation/OT victories (39 to 32), but their seemingly ironclad lead could dissolve if the two teams continue moving in opposite directions.
With the changing scenario in mind, Pittsburgh has a very real chance to go from “dangerous team with perhaps just one round of home ice advantage” to possibly the first seed in the East. With or without Crosby, the Penguins’ outlook is rapidly getting more ambitious – to the point that some might be nervous about them losing a step while their captain makes his way back.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)