Mar 9, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
Michael Del Zotto‘s name doesn’t carry the same panache as Henrik Lundqvist, Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards or even Marc Staal, but he’s been enjoying the best season of his brief NHL career for the New York Rangers. He’s been a nice offensive producer with 35 points, but an already shaky Rangers power play will have to find a way without him tonight.
Andrew Gross reports that MDZ will miss tonight’s game and hints that it could be a hip injury. Steve Zipay indicates that del Zotto initially hurt his hip in a Feb. 25 game against the Buffalo Sabres.
The offensive blueliner arrived on the NHL scene in a big way as a rookie, collecting 37 points in 2009-10. That being said, he struggled in his end (exemplified in part by a -20 rating) and then regressed last season, making him a big wild card this year. It seems that MDZ has cleaned up his all-around game (whether you dig the stat or not, a +24 rating certainly isn’t a bad thing) while getting his scoring touch back. MDZ already has 35 points this season, so he should be able to set a new career-high as long as this hip issue doesn’t sideline him for too long.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)