Marleau on Roenick’s critique: “It’s not worth my time”

Mar 9, 2012, 7:36 PM EDT

Patrick Marleau Getty Images

Patrick Marleau has been called a lot of things. Jeremy Roenick essentially thinks he’s soft. Many fans forget his better playoff moments and call him a “choker.” More whimsical folks delight in his supposed “awkwardness.”

One thing you can’t accuse Marleau of is courting criticism. With that in mind, it wasn’t surprising when he essentially pleaded the fifth to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz when asked about Roenick’s harsh criticisms.

“No, it’s not worth my time, or anything,” Marleau said. “I don’t even pay attention.”

Roenick was a heart-on-his-sleeve kind of player, but it might not be fair to beat up on Marleau simply because he doesn’t show how much he cares by smashing his stick and going insane after every loss.

To paraphrase Henry David Thoreau, Marleau might just be living a life of quite hockey desperation.

1. finfan88shark - Mar 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

And this just proves that Roenick is and was right with his comments. Most people especially athletes when called out, step up their game, and use it as a challenge. But not good ole dopey eyed Marleau.

JR, calls out Marleaus man hood and Marleau predictably backs down. And that tells a lot about the story. And why Sharks will never win a cup with Patrick Marleau.

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Ya except many player pretend that loud-mouth Roenick isn’t worth replying to
      And they are right

Remind me again when someone suggested Patrick Marleau was ever tough in the 1st place?

2. ruffridin - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Marleau is too classy to discuss some old hack who is simply trying to stay in the news. Go away JR, just go away

3. sjsharksfan11 - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

JR is right with everything he said. He played with that pillow for two years. He’s a fan favorite to those who don’t want to win a Cup.

4. kitshky - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

A- JR needs to apologize to no one, he was an absolute stud and I’m not saying he’s wrong here.

B- Marleau doesn’t need to say anything and “finfan”‘s comment is almost the epitome of an uneducated hockey fans opinion. The only thing he could do is ignore JR’s comments ya dink …wat else would you expect him to do? Hois reactioon simply proved he’s a mature balanced and (frankly despite your ignoramous comments) quite successful professional.

• finfan88shark - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:56 PM

What I would do if I was Marleau is I would say: JR is wrong and I will prove it. But sleepy Patricia won’t do that. Instead he just Scruggs it off just like everything else. When things get tough Patty goes running. Bottom line

Kit, if a lifelong employee at your liberal school or at the Unemployment office came and called you out would that not motivate you to do better? Not good ole Patty instead Patty gives off that goofy smile and says golly geepers. The fact Marleau said what he said proves that JR is right, Marleau does not have that second gear that superstar players have. Marleau is a coaster, and would rather take the easy way out, then actually have to work for something. Just think if Marleau played as hard as JR did, all the time. Do you think Marleau would be a better player then he is now? But that is the point. Marleau is happy being good, not great.

5. sjsharksfan11 - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Ruffridin is a clown. Go post on a basketball board where people have no IQ

6. sjsharksfan11 - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Kitshky….that’s why he’s never won a cup right? Have you watched the guy play? If you did like I have with season tickets you’d be saying something totally different. You’re a hack.

• habsman - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

You’re a typical American clown.

• finfan88shark - Mar 9, 2012 at 9:58 PM

And Americans know nothing about Hockey? Yeah typical of a habsfan who is more concern that a coach speak french then a coach that can actually get the team to win. You have all the credibility in the world.

• farvefromover - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM

You smell like a half assed frenchman

7. sjsharksfan11 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:32 PM

He’s being an a$$ copying my comment towards That lunatic idiot Don Cherry where I called him a TYPICAL CANADIAN CLOWN

8. sjsharksfan11 - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Not only that the Canadiens suck. Their fans suck and their city sucks. It’s a graffiti ghetto hole. Montreal=JOKE

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And you’re from California?
      A cesspool

Graffiti>gangbanging Mexicans and Asians fighting it out on the streets

9. finfan88shark - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Sorry Favrefromover, I use deodorant unlike the French.

10. ruffridin - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM

After Marleau’s no comment he went and shined his Olympic gold medal

• geo91 - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Why the guy can’t just move on from the game with a bit more class is beyond me. It’s honestly as if he is worried his numbers and style of play wont be enough for people to remember him by (40th on all time scoring is solid as hell), so he has to keep having his name pop-up. Being an ass on the ice with the game to back it up is admirable, but just leave it alone guy.

• finfan88shark - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Roenick is trying to get Marleau to play harder which means he would be BETTER. NOT WORSE. Do you not get this. JR is bring up a valid point, and is being critical of Marleau’s attitude. HE JR says Marleau can be better. And that is a bad thing for Marleau and Sharks fan? I don’t get it. If I was a professional athlete and someone challenged me to be better, you damn well better believe I would do everything I could, but not Marleau he is satisfied and it tells in his game. As a Sharks fan you should be happy that Roenick is trying to motivate a player who lacks self motivation, as exhibited by his (Marleau’s) own answer.

• geo91 - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM

No I guess I don’t get it? When it comes down to it, you’ve got to motivate yourself. As a rookie I can understand how this could help push you to become better and work harder, but he’s a veteran pro. If Patrick Marleau wants to elevate his game, he’ll find the motivation inside himself to do it. If not, then that’s who he is plain and simple, and I don’t see how you could disagree. Patrick Marleau is not going to play harder for Jeremy Roenick. I mean the situation is literally the same as if I were to call Marleau and challenge him; of course he will pay no attention to someone being a critic. The only difference is JR has done it in front of millions, probably crushing Marleau’s confidence, and in the NHL playing with confidence is everything. I really don’t care that this happens (I’m a wings fan), it only irks me that he wont give it a rest (he’s targeted Marleau in the media several times), and I seriously don’t doubt this criticism is because of some sort of carry-over locker room issue. It’s part of a coaches’ job to motivate. This guy needs to shut it!

11. dhillca - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Hey finfan88
    Don’t promote your own agenda. If you’ve said it a half-dozen times before, it doesn’t bear repeating

12. finfan88shark - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Really! My agenda? No just responding to people like yourselve who actually think Marleau can lead a team to a Stanley cup. Apparently based on votes a lot of people agree with me. Sorry if your hero had his feelings hurt.

13. finfan88shark - Mar 10, 2012 at 3:20 AM

Of it makes you happy though I could post it a half dozen time so that Shark fans might actually get a clue. But then again unlike myself who is a true sharks fan. I know to disregard what Brodie brazil, David Pollak and all those other hockey experts say. After all it was Pollak who said this was and is the best sharks team ever. Keep dreaming that the lazy dopey faced Marleau will actually led us anywhere.

14. lameasish - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:40 AM

What’s with all the Canada bashing? You know your team (which ever team that it) is full of Canadians. Chances are they are probably your best players too. Go eat another cheeseburger yanks.

15. pa9erfan - Mar 10, 2012 at 10:54 AM

if people think patty, or any pro athlete, is actually motivated by what some announcer has to say (especially some arrogant big mouth like jr) then they are as ignorant as jr… athletes are motivated by winning, patty is not soft, heartless, or gutless… he’s an all-time shark, he’s won an olympic gold, he’s the youngest player EVER to 1100 games (and would have been to 1000 if not for the lockout).. and if you think the only reason the sharks have not won a cup is because of patty…. again, as ignorant as jr….

16. sjsharksfan11 - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Pa9erfan….your response shows why the Sharks will never win a cup. Keep drinking the kool-aid. If Marleau played in Toronto fans would be screaming for his head to be cut off. They wouldn’t stand for this woman to be floating on the ice at leisure like the pillow already does. I can’t believe people are defending this guy!!!! I’m seriously baffled!

17. hawknuts - Mar 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM

marleau looked fine winning that gold medal against america

and roenick didn’t do anything when he got pounded by team canada

18. dhillca - Mar 10, 2012 at 1:21 PM

All the best hockey players AND fans are in Canada…..just ask Don Cherry.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches