Mar 9, 2012, 8:17 PM EDT
Detroit Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard has made waves with his great play this season, but he’s also distinguished himself by defying injury logic. He barely missed a beat when he broke his finger, and if you ask him, his current groin injury won’t be that big of a deal, either.
In fact, Howard said that “everything’s back to normal” and shared an optimistic target date of Tuesday, as Bill Roose discusses for the Red Wings’ official site.
The plan is for Howard to go to Nashville with the Wings and participate in Saturday’s morning skate at Bridgestone Arena. If all works out, a return to the lineup could come as early as Tuesday in Los Angeles, Howard said.
As competent as Joey MacDonald has been lately, the banged-up Red Wings could use a close-to-100-percent Howard as they jostle with the St. Louis Blues for the Central Division crown – and the first or second seed that will come with it.
At the same time, Howard and the Red Wings should be weary not to rush back. Ultimately, it’s all about playing your best hockey in the postseason, which could be at risk if his return is too hasty.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 99
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (99)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)