Mar 9, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Thursday night’s 3-1 win over Buffalo was a big one for the Boston Bruins.
It kept them three points clear of Ottawa (who beat the Rangers 4-1) in the Northeast Division. It came against a hated divisional rival.
Oh yeah, it also marked the first time they won back-to-back contests since Jan. 10 and 12 — a stretch of 25 games.
“You know it’s been a long time; we finally got it,” Bruins forward David Krejci told NHL.com. “It feels good, I think we deserve it – we’ve played well in the last few games. Even in some of our losses, we played well. But, even if you got to play the same way, then the wins are going to come. We got two in a row so it feels pretty good.”
Scoring consecutive victories was key after a rough couple of months. Boston’s been besieged by injury (Nathan Horton, Rich Peverley, Andrew Ference, Tuukka Rask) and watched the Rangers open up an eight-point lead atop the Eastern Conference.
The back-to-back wins also put the Bruins in some elite company. They’re now just one of three teams to have won 20 games at home and on the road this year (Rangers and Canucks are the others.)
Head coach Claude Julien was pleased with the result, though he said he felt it coming.
“I was encouraged by our play in New York [a 4-3 loss on Sunday] and it’s just kept coming along in the next game [Tuesday night's 5-4 victory in Toronto],” Julien told CSNNE.com. “I think that’s what we’re looking for now…a consistent effort, and hopefully they turn into wins.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)