Mar 9, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Thursday night’s 3-1 win over Buffalo was a big one for the Boston Bruins.
It kept them three points clear of Ottawa (who beat the Rangers 4-1) in the Northeast Division. It came against a hated divisional rival.
Oh yeah, it also marked the first time they won back-to-back contests since Jan. 10 and 12 — a stretch of 25 games.
“You know it’s been a long time; we finally got it,” Bruins forward David Krejci told NHL.com. “It feels good, I think we deserve it – we’ve played well in the last few games. Even in some of our losses, we played well. But, even if you got to play the same way, then the wins are going to come. We got two in a row so it feels pretty good.”
Scoring consecutive victories was key after a rough couple of months. Boston’s been besieged by injury (Nathan Horton, Rich Peverley, Andrew Ference, Tuukka Rask) and watched the Rangers open up an eight-point lead atop the Eastern Conference.
The back-to-back wins also put the Bruins in some elite company. They’re now just one of three teams to have won 20 games at home and on the road this year (Rangers and Canucks are the others.)
Head coach Claude Julien was pleased with the result, though he said he felt it coming.
“I was encouraged by our play in New York [a 4-3 loss on Sunday] and it’s just kept coming along in the next game [Tuesday night’s 5-4 victory in Toronto],” Julien told CSNNE.com. “I think that’s what we’re looking for now…a consistent effort, and hopefully they turn into wins.”
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 1
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 49
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)