Mar 9, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
Thursday night’s 3-1 win over Buffalo was a big one for the Boston Bruins.
It kept them three points clear of Ottawa (who beat the Rangers 4-1) in the Northeast Division. It came against a hated divisional rival.
Oh yeah, it also marked the first time they won back-to-back contests since Jan. 10 and 12 — a stretch of 25 games.
“You know it’s been a long time; we finally got it,” Bruins forward David Krejci told NHL.com. “It feels good, I think we deserve it – we’ve played well in the last few games. Even in some of our losses, we played well. But, even if you got to play the same way, then the wins are going to come. We got two in a row so it feels pretty good.”
Scoring consecutive victories was key after a rough couple of months. Boston’s been besieged by injury (Nathan Horton, Rich Peverley, Andrew Ference, Tuukka Rask) and watched the Rangers open up an eight-point lead atop the Eastern Conference.
The back-to-back wins also put the Bruins in some elite company. They’re now just one of three teams to have won 20 games at home and on the road this year (Rangers and Canucks are the others.)
Head coach Claude Julien was pleased with the result, though he said he felt it coming.
“I was encouraged by our play in New York [a 4-3 loss on Sunday] and it’s just kept coming along in the next game [Tuesday night's 5-4 victory in Toronto],” Julien told CSNNE.com. “I think that’s what we’re looking for now…a consistent effort, and hopefully they turn into wins.”
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 4
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 19
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights