Mar 9, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
When it was announced on March 2 that Niklas Backstrom would be out with a groin injury for two-to-four weeks, the silver lining was that his understudy, Josh Harding, had been superb this season. Harding struggled in the starter role in a 6-0 loss to Detroit on the same day that Backstrom’s injury was announced, but he appeared to be turning a corner in Thursday’s game against Phoenix. At least he was until he “tweaked something” in the lower body area midway through the game.
Harding left the contest and while the severity of the injury is not known, this might be an even bigger problem for Minnesota than it appears. We can assume that Matt Hackett, who has 318 minutes of NHL experience under his belt, will take over as the team’s starting goaltender for as long as both Backstrom and Harding are out. But who will backup Hackett? The Wild’s fourth string goaltender, Darcy Kuemper, is out with an upper body injury and their fifth string goaltender, Dennis Endras, is playing in Europe. So we’ll just have to wait and see how Minnesota handles this situation.
It is possible that Harding’s injury will prove to be mild and he will be available to at least serve as the backup goaltender on Sunday, but Minnesota’s luck would have to change for that to happen.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires