Mar 9, 2012, 9:13 PM EST
The list of NHL players who’ve taken a puck, stick or some other object to their eyes is longer than it should be. For some, those horrible accidents ended their careers. Others (see: Bryan Berard) never were really the same while a lucky group managed to dodge that bullet.
Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Cody Franson appears to be one of those fortunate types, but as Dave Feschuk reveals, there were some tense moments when it didn’t seem that way.
In an unlikely instant, the butt end belonging to teammate Tim Connolly had somehow found its way through the slot between Franson’s protective visor and his face. Five seconds, 10 seconds, 15 seconds passed, and Franson saw nothing but black through his injured left eye.
Franson recounted the incident in interesting detail.
“That was scary to me, not being able to see for 15 or 20 seconds,” Franson said. “I was nervous at first. I didn’t know what to feel. It felt like my eyeball kind of got pushed back into the socket a bit.”
“It’s kind of like that ‘Don’t Drink and Drive’ commercial where they put the three glasses (in front of the camera). You see (three of everything) and you just pick the middle one … But you’re just glad you can see. I was very fortunate.”
Now that it’s clear Franson is OK, I must admit that his comment about his eye “kind of getting pushed back into the socket” reminds me of Mac’s dog “Poppins” from “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”
Franson revealed that he was lucky enough to only have some scratches on his nose and eyelid. Speaking of scratches, it’s unclear if the injury or just his place in the Maple Leafs’ fold might keep out of the lineup in the next game or two, but it’s likely that the former Nashville Predators blueliner feels a lot more fortunate today than he did before Wednesday.
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 2
- Wounded Wing: Howard (MCL sprain) out 2-4 weeks 2
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 61
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 28
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 46
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 85
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)