Mar 9, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
Capitals owner Ted Leonsis took to his personal blog this morning to laud Alex Ovechkin for scoring the overtime winner last night against Tampa Bay.
In a post titled “Good to see Alex demanding the puck in OT,” Leonsis wrote:
That is what stars need to do – they want the puck on their stick in big moments. He buried the goal; we get two points which we really needed. Watch the replay here and see him tapping for the puck.
OK, so I’m not sure “stars” are the only players that call for the puck in overtime when they’ve got a wide-open net staring them in the face. Hockey isn’t basketball, and last night wasn’t Kobe Bryant demanding the ball on the last possession and hitting the game-winning 3-pointer.
But it was still a huge win for the Caps. And it was the second game in a row they’ve scored late in regulation to force extra time.
Washington now has six victories when trailing after two periods, tied for fourth most in the league. Last year, they finished second in the category.
So let that be a warning to the rest of the NHL – when the Capitals are forced to open it up, they’re a pretty dangerous team.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 83
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 65
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 77
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (84)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (75)