Mar 9, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Capitals owner Ted Leonsis took to his personal blog this morning to laud Alex Ovechkin for scoring the overtime winner last night against Tampa Bay.
In a post titled “Good to see Alex demanding the puck in OT,” Leonsis wrote:
That is what stars need to do – they want the puck on their stick in big moments. He buried the goal; we get two points which we really needed. Watch the replay here and see him tapping for the puck.
OK, so I’m not sure “stars” are the only players that call for the puck in overtime when they’ve got a wide-open net staring them in the face. Hockey isn’t basketball, and last night wasn’t Kobe Bryant demanding the ball on the last possession and hitting the game-winning 3-pointer.
But it was still a huge win for the Caps. And it was the second game in a row they’ve scored late in regulation to force extra time.
Washington now has six victories when trailing after two periods, tied for fourth most in the league. Last year, they finished second in the category.
So let that be a warning to the rest of the NHL – when the Capitals are forced to open it up, they’re a pretty dangerous team.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (43)