Mar 9, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Capitals owner Ted Leonsis took to his personal blog this morning to laud Alex Ovechkin for scoring the overtime winner last night against Tampa Bay.
In a post titled “Good to see Alex demanding the puck in OT,” Leonsis wrote:
That is what stars need to do – they want the puck on their stick in big moments. He buried the goal; we get two points which we really needed. Watch the replay here and see him tapping for the puck.
OK, so I’m not sure “stars” are the only players that call for the puck in overtime when they’ve got a wide-open net staring them in the face. Hockey isn’t basketball, and last night wasn’t Kobe Bryant demanding the ball on the last possession and hitting the game-winning 3-pointer.
But it was still a huge win for the Caps. And it was the second game in a row they’ve scored late in regulation to force extra time.
Washington now has six victories when trailing after two periods, tied for fourth most in the league. Last year, they finished second in the category.
So let that be a warning to the rest of the NHL – when the Capitals are forced to open it up, they’re a pretty dangerous team.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)