Mar 9, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Capitals owner Ted Leonsis took to his personal blog this morning to laud Alex Ovechkin for scoring the overtime winner last night against Tampa Bay.
In a post titled “Good to see Alex demanding the puck in OT,” Leonsis wrote:
That is what stars need to do – they want the puck on their stick in big moments. He buried the goal; we get two points which we really needed. Watch the replay here and see him tapping for the puck.
OK, so I’m not sure “stars” are the only players that call for the puck in overtime when they’ve got a wide-open net staring them in the face. Hockey isn’t basketball, and last night wasn’t Kobe Bryant demanding the ball on the last possession and hitting the game-winning 3-pointer.
But it was still a huge win for the Caps. And it was the second game in a row they’ve scored late in regulation to force extra time.
Washington now has six victories when trailing after two periods, tied for fourth most in the league. Last year, they finished second in the category.
So let that be a warning to the rest of the NHL – when the Capitals are forced to open it up, they’re a pretty dangerous team.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)