Mar 9, 2012, 11:29 AM EST
Capitals owner Ted Leonsis took to his personal blog this morning to laud Alex Ovechkin for scoring the overtime winner last night against Tampa Bay.
In a post titled “Good to see Alex demanding the puck in OT,” Leonsis wrote:
That is what stars need to do – they want the puck on their stick in big moments. He buried the goal; we get two points which we really needed. Watch the replay here and see him tapping for the puck.
OK, so I’m not sure “stars” are the only players that call for the puck in overtime when they’ve got a wide-open net staring them in the face. Hockey isn’t basketball, and last night wasn’t Kobe Bryant demanding the ball on the last possession and hitting the game-winning 3-pointer.
But it was still a huge win for the Caps. And it was the second game in a row they’ve scored late in regulation to force extra time.
Washington now has six victories when trailing after two periods, tied for fourth most in the league. Last year, they finished second in the category.
So let that be a warning to the rest of the NHL – when the Capitals are forced to open it up, they’re a pretty dangerous team.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)