Mar 8, 2012, 3:02 PM EDT
If the Sedins keep playing the way they’ve been playing, Vancouver won’t have to worry about another Stanley Cup riot.
But just in case the Canucks make it to the finals again, The Province reports steps are being taken to avoid a repeat of June 15’s smashy-smashy-burny-burny fiasco.
“We all want to ensure a fun atmosphere during the playoffs, but obviously it’s not going to be the same as last year,” said Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson.
No, obviously it won’t.
For starters, the city’s decided against the “cram thousands upon thousands of wasted fans into a city block with nary a cop to be seen” strategy. They’ll be going with smaller venues this time around, with ticket-only outdoor events.
Stopping trainloads of young suburbanites from streaming into the downtown core is another objective. Most rioters, at least the ones that were charged, came from outside Vancouver. And they brought their alcohol along.
“We need to stop people from getting on the train with alcohol, to stop people getting out of the train with alcohol,” said deputy city manager Sadhu Johnston.
No specific plans to keep revelers from flooding downtown in June were provided, though trading Cody Hodgson was probably a good start.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)