Mar 8, 2012, 8:46 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars opted against trading Steve Ott for games like tonight: a gut-check defense of their Pacific Division lead against a desperate San Jose Sharks squad that hasn’t lost to Dallas this season.
Unfortunately for the Stars, Ott won’t be able to play. The team reports that back spasms have sidelined him for tonight’s game, forcing marginal forward Jake Dowell into the lineup.
Ott has played in 61 of 67 games so far this season, collecting a useful 33 points while agitating his way to 124 penalty minutes. The Stars will miss his feisty style, versatility and faceoff acumen in an important squabble with the Sharks.
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 3
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 10
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 31
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 12
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)