Mar 8, 2012, 8:46 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars opted against trading Steve Ott for games like tonight: a gut-check defense of their Pacific Division lead against a desperate San Jose Sharks squad that hasn’t lost to Dallas this season.
Unfortunately for the Stars, Ott won’t be able to play. The team reports that back spasms have sidelined him for tonight’s game, forcing marginal forward Jake Dowell into the lineup.
Ott has played in 61 of 67 games so far this season, collecting a useful 33 points while agitating his way to 124 penalty minutes. The Stars will miss his feisty style, versatility and faceoff acumen in an important squabble with the Sharks.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)