Mar 8, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT
Of all the places Rick Nash could end up next season, could Columbus be one of them?
According to Blue Jackets senior advisor Craig Patrick, the answer is yes.
“Rick might be with us the rest of his career, we don’t know,” Patrick told ESPN.com. “He’s really a great guy, a good captain. He really cares about the Columbus Blue Jackets and the Columbus market. He’s the epitome of a guy you want on your team.”
If the Jackets don’t get what they’re asking for Nash, Patrick says there won’t be a trade.
Of course, in any negotiation, you’ve got more leverage if the other side thinks you might walk away. So Patrick’s comments could be a bluff.
After passing on all offers for Nash at the trade deadline, general manager Scott Howson is banking on a sweetened pot during the summer. He’ll probably get it, since there’s never a shortage of desperation from teams that bomb out of the playoffs.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)