Mar 8, 2012, 6:12 PM EST
Another day, another crazy injury development for the Minnesota Wild.
According to the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo, the Wild might only dress five defensemen tonight in Phoenix to take on the Coyotes. Clayton Stoner (lower body), Mike Lundin (hernia) and Justin Faulk (leg) are all out while Jared Spurgeon is dealing with the flu. Minnesota tried to get Tyler Cuma up from AHL Houston, but he missed his connecting flight to Phoenix and won’t be able to make his big league debut.
So, the five healthy defensemen are Marco Scandella, Tom Gilbert, Steve Kampfer, Nate Prosser and Kurtis Foster, though for accuracy’s sake we should mention Foster has a bad back and therefore not “healty.”
As for other viable options — there really aren’t many for Minnesota to consider. Stoner could play in a pinch, but head coach Mike Yeo said he’d rather play shorthanded than jeopardize Stoner, who has been out since Feb. 2 after tearing the muscle off the bone in his hip. There’s always the option of re-creating some Paul Deutsch magic, but the prospect of actually playing a 51-year-old beer leaguer (as opposed to letting him warm up) is kind of terrifying.
To give you an idea of just how bad Minnesota’s season has been injury-wise, consider this: Cuma would’ve been the 45th player to dress for the Wild this season, smashing the old franchise mark by five.
The NHL record, set by Boston in 1991-92, is 55.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 152
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)