Mar 8, 2012, 11:07 PM EST
As fun as all the talk of Huskies and the universe has been, Ilya Bryzgalov has been a big disappointment for the Philadelphia Flyers this season. In fact, if you erased the team’s memory of who was making what, it’s likely that Sergei Bobrovsky would be getting at least an equal share of the starts.
Still, there’s one interesting possibility that might just redeem Bryzgalov: getting his game together as the playoffs approach.
The Russian netminder is showing some signs of doing just that, too. Breezy played well enough tonight in a 5-0 win against the Florida Panthers that brutal-on-goalies Flyers fans actually gave him an ovation during the three star announcements (according to Sam Carchidi).
Bryzgalov now has two shutouts in his last three games and is currently on a four-game winning streak. He was also quite strong in his most recent loss, too, as he allowed just one goal in a defeat to the San Jose Sharks on Feb. 28. Breezy’s an impressive 7-2-0 with a non-decision in his last 10 games.
That run doesn’t change everything – just look at his overall stats – yet if last year’s playoffs proved anything about the Flyers franchise and their market, it’s that opinions can change on a dime as a result of postseason successes or failures.
For the first time this season, it’s starting to look like that could just be a good thing for Bryzgalov.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)