Mar 8, 2012, 11:07 PM EDT
As fun as all the talk of Huskies and the universe has been, Ilya Bryzgalov has been a big disappointment for the Philadelphia Flyers this season. In fact, if you erased the team’s memory of who was making what, it’s likely that Sergei Bobrovsky would be getting at least an equal share of the starts.
Still, there’s one interesting possibility that might just redeem Bryzgalov: getting his game together as the playoffs approach.
The Russian netminder is showing some signs of doing just that, too. Breezy played well enough tonight in a 5-0 win against the Florida Panthers that brutal-on-goalies Flyers fans actually gave him an ovation during the three star announcements (according to Sam Carchidi).
Bryzgalov now has two shutouts in his last three games and is currently on a four-game winning streak. He was also quite strong in his most recent loss, too, as he allowed just one goal in a defeat to the San Jose Sharks on Feb. 28. Breezy’s an impressive 7-2-0 with a non-decision in his last 10 games.
That run doesn’t change everything – just look at his overall stats – yet if last year’s playoffs proved anything about the Flyers franchise and their market, it’s that opinions can change on a dime as a result of postseason successes or failures.
For the first time this season, it’s starting to look like that could just be a good thing for Bryzgalov.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 27
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming