Mar 8, 2012, 10:44 AM EST
On the ice, George Parros often imprints his fist on opponent’s faces.
Off it, he’s more concerned about carbon footprints.
That was evident on Tuesday when the Anaheim enforcer did a meet-and-greet at a local Honda dealership and received his new CNG — a factory-built car designed to run on compressed natural gas.
“I’m a recent father now, so I’m looking out for the future. If you can reduce your carbon footprint, I think this is certainly a good way to start, with your car,” Parros told the OC Register. “It’s a lifestyle choice that’s not too difficult to stay on top of…It was the right choice for me. I think it’s an easy sacrifice to make.”
Parros has been affiliated with Honda for a couple of years, a relationship that includes in-arena video promos and, apparently, a new whip for George every couple of years. It’s hardly his first foray into socially-conscious efforts, though. His apparel line — Stache Gear — benefits The Garth Brooks Teammates For Kids Foundation and he also donates to Locks of Love, a charity organization that makes wigs for children that have lost their hair due to medical conditions.
The Princeton grad had a couple of funny observations about his first-ever corporate gig.
“A lot of people are surprised that I can even fit in it,” Parros said. “I was surprised myself. I didn’t agree to embark on this journey with you guys until I was sure I could fit in the front seat.”
“I think it’s kind of a point of pride to pull up into the valet before the games and see all the Mercedes and BMWs lined up and have my Honda stuck in there, too.
“I think it’s kind of cool.”
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 19
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 30
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (152)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)