Mar 8, 2012, 10:44 AM EDT
On the ice, George Parros often imprints his fist on opponent’s faces.
Off it, he’s more concerned about carbon footprints.
That was evident on Tuesday when the Anaheim enforcer did a meet-and-greet at a local Honda dealership and received his new CNG — a factory-built car designed to run on compressed natural gas.
“I’m a recent father now, so I’m looking out for the future. If you can reduce your carbon footprint, I think this is certainly a good way to start, with your car,” Parros told the OC Register. “It’s a lifestyle choice that’s not too difficult to stay on top of…It was the right choice for me. I think it’s an easy sacrifice to make.”
Parros has been affiliated with Honda for a couple of years, a relationship that includes in-arena video promos and, apparently, a new whip for George every couple of years. It’s hardly his first foray into socially-conscious efforts, though. His apparel line — Stache Gear — benefits The Garth Brooks Teammates For Kids Foundation and he also donates to Locks of Love, a charity organization that makes wigs for children that have lost their hair due to medical conditions.
The Princeton grad had a couple of funny observations about his first-ever corporate gig.
“A lot of people are surprised that I can even fit in it,” Parros said. “I was surprised myself. I didn’t agree to embark on this journey with you guys until I was sure I could fit in the front seat.”
“I think it’s kind of a point of pride to pull up into the valet before the games and see all the Mercedes and BMWs lined up and have my Honda stuck in there, too.
“I think it’s kind of cool.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54