Mar 8, 2012, 1:01 PM EDT
Remember what the Blackhawks did last summer?
If you don’t, a quick refresher from the team website (Date: July 1, 2011):
Make no mistake about it, the 2011-12 version of the Chicago Blackhawks will not be pushed around by anybody.
In fact, after what Chicago General Manager Stan Bowman and his front office did on Friday – the League’s opening day of free agency – it might be the Hawks instigating the rough stuff every so often next season.
Chicago capped off an infusion of toughness on Friday by reaching agreements with five gritty, experienced role players – all signed to cost-efficient one-year deals – including forwards Andrew Brunette, Jamal Mayers and Dan Carcillo.
The Hawks also added sturdy 39-year old defenseman Sean O’Donnell and forward Brett McLean – who’s played the past two seasons in the Swiss League – during a busy day for Bowman and his front-office staff.
“I think we had a very successful day,” Bowman said during a teleconference on Friday evening. “I’m very pleased with how it all played out. This was our objective, to find some players that play a certain style and bring some experience. It’s a nice mixture.”
Now, fast-forward to today: Carcillo’s out for the year, McLean’s in the AHL, O’Donnell’s a healthy scratch while Brunette and Mayers have been bit players at best.
This got Adam Jahns of the Chicago Sun-Times thinking — what happened to the “tough” plan?
The ‘‘tough” plan blew up because of injuries and poor play. Instead, it looks like the Hawks are in the midst of partial rebuilding process where rookies get to prove themselves and learn on the job.
The Hawks have turned to their youth because the organization’s faith in their ‘‘tough” plan faded. In fact, it’s debatable if it ever really worked. With 14 games left, the Hawks find themselves with a ton of concerns, especially on special teams. Only Mayers has lived up to the billing the Hawks gave him.
As a result, the ‘Hawks have turned to Andrew Shaw (20 years old), Jimmy Hayes (22) and recently-promoted Brandon Bollig (25) to fill the physical void.
Problem is, it’s not working.
“It’s clear teams won’t stop taking runs at the Hawks,” Jahns wrote. “Opponents, notably the Blues and Red Wings, have even targeted the rookies.”
The ‘Hawks currently sit sixth in the West and on talent alone should make the playoffs — but when they get there, it could be trouble. Chicago spent last offseason bemoaning how it was “out-physical-ed” by Vancouver in last year’s postseason and given potential matchups looming against St. Louis, Nashville and Dallas, it could be another rough-and-tumble opening round.
(Photo courtesy Chicago UPI)
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 2
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)