Mar 8, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Don Cherry isn’t just angry at Leafs GM Brian Burke for the lack of Ontario-born players on the Toronto Maple Leafs and his biggest problem with Burke might not even be the fact that he complained to Cherry’s superiors about Grapes. What might have pissed Cherry off the most is that Burke decided to also target his co-host and old friend Ron MacLean.
What’s Burke’s problem with MacLean? Apparently, in MacLean’s words, Burke “feels that I egg Grapes on.”
MacLean said that Burke went to his superiors, but he thinks Burke was trying to get them “muzzled” rather than fired. To make the situation even more bizarre, Burke decided to call MacLean up before lodging his complaint.
“He said ‘I am feeling kind of lousy doing it this way without talking to you first,’” MacLean said, referring to Burke. The Leafs GM gave MacLean the opportunity to meet with him, but MacLean turned down the offer. He also told Burke that his job was not to present the audience with “all rainbows.”
“I am not losing any sleep over it,” said MacLean. “I understand Brian is under a lot of pressure and he treats each day like it’s a hockey game. A general manager of such a major professional sports franchise should be able to handle it but it’s the way he is.”
MacLean also said that he forgives Burke. Cherry, on the other hand, might not be ready to put this all behind him.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 14
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)