Mar 8, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
Don Cherry isn’t just angry at Leafs GM Brian Burke for the lack of Ontario-born players on the Toronto Maple Leafs and his biggest problem with Burke might not even be the fact that he complained to Cherry’s superiors about Grapes. What might have pissed Cherry off the most is that Burke decided to also target his co-host and old friend Ron MacLean.
What’s Burke’s problem with MacLean? Apparently, in MacLean’s words, Burke “feels that I egg Grapes on.”
MacLean said that Burke went to his superiors, but he thinks Burke was trying to get them “muzzled” rather than fired. To make the situation even more bizarre, Burke decided to call MacLean up before lodging his complaint.
“He said ‘I am feeling kind of lousy doing it this way without talking to you first,’” MacLean said, referring to Burke. The Leafs GM gave MacLean the opportunity to meet with him, but MacLean turned down the offer. He also told Burke that his job was not to present the audience with “all rainbows.”
“I am not losing any sleep over it,” said MacLean. “I understand Brian is under a lot of pressure and he treats each day like it’s a hockey game. A general manager of such a major professional sports franchise should be able to handle it but it’s the way he is.”
MacLean also said that he forgives Burke. Cherry, on the other hand, might not be ready to put this all behind him.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18