Mar 7, 2012, 8:57 PM EDT
Imagine, for a second, one of your most prominent mistakes being immortalized in statue form.
Former New York Islanders players Rich Pilon and Jeff Norton are in that club, as Mario Lemieux’s statue captured one of the Pittsburgh Penguins great’s most memorable goals – which came at their expense. The team unveiled the statue today, which you can read about in this post and watch in the video below:
Perhaps it’s fitting that one of the most unusual statues in sports went to one of the NHL’s most unusual careers? After all, we’re talking about a player who saved a franchise (twice), beat cancer and raised the Stanley Cup two times – among many other highlights.
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 38
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7