Mar 7, 2012, 7:15 PM EST
Marty Turco won’t lie – there were times when not being able to find a job in the NHL was “a real kick in the pants.”
We assume he meant a kick in the front part of the pants, not the motivational kind of kick in the pants.
No disrespect to EC Red Bull Salzburg, with whom the veteran goalie played 10 games before signing with the Boston Bruins on Monday. But Austria isn’t the best league in the world.
“Part of the reason why I feel like I’ve had success, or even made the NHL for that matter, is the expectations I have, where you expect to be,” Turco, 36, said today. “So when you know you have better and you disappoint in previous seasons, not to be in the [NHL] or have belief from others can be demeaning.”
When exactly Turco will see action depends on how long he needs to get ready.
“If he’s ready to go soon we’ll see him soon, but if he needs a little time we’ll give him some time,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters. “At this point I’ll have to play it by ear.”
The B’s have back-to-back games this weekend — Saturday they host Washington, the next day they’re in Pittsburgh.
PS — If Sidney Crosby plays Sunday for the Penguins, Julien should definitely throw Turco out there. (“Good luck!”)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)