Mar 7, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Marty Turco won’t lie – there were times when not being able to find a job in the NHL was “a real kick in the pants.”
We assume he meant a kick in the front part of the pants, not the motivational kind of kick in the pants.
No disrespect to EC Red Bull Salzburg, with whom the veteran goalie played 10 games before signing with the Boston Bruins on Monday. But Austria isn’t the best league in the world.
“Part of the reason why I feel like I’ve had success, or even made the NHL for that matter, is the expectations I have, where you expect to be,” Turco, 36, said today. “So when you know you have better and you disappoint in previous seasons, not to be in the [NHL] or have belief from others can be demeaning.”
When exactly Turco will see action depends on how long he needs to get ready.
“If he’s ready to go soon we’ll see him soon, but if he needs a little time we’ll give him some time,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters. “At this point I’ll have to play it by ear.”
The B’s have back-to-back games this weekend — Saturday they host Washington, the next day they’re in Pittsburgh.
PS — If Sidney Crosby plays Sunday for the Penguins, Julien should definitely throw Turco out there. (“Good luck!”)
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)