Mar 7, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Marty Turco won’t lie – there were times when not being able to find a job in the NHL was “a real kick in the pants.”
We assume he meant a kick in the front part of the pants, not the motivational kind of kick in the pants.
No disrespect to EC Red Bull Salzburg, with whom the veteran goalie played 10 games before signing with the Boston Bruins on Monday. But Austria isn’t the best league in the world.
“Part of the reason why I feel like I’ve had success, or even made the NHL for that matter, is the expectations I have, where you expect to be,” Turco, 36, said today. “So when you know you have better and you disappoint in previous seasons, not to be in the [NHL] or have belief from others can be demeaning.”
When exactly Turco will see action depends on how long he needs to get ready.
“If he’s ready to go soon we’ll see him soon, but if he needs a little time we’ll give him some time,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters. “At this point I’ll have to play it by ear.”
The B’s have back-to-back games this weekend — Saturday they host Washington, the next day they’re in Pittsburgh.
PS — If Sidney Crosby plays Sunday for the Penguins, Julien should definitely throw Turco out there. (“Good luck!”)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 36
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)