Mar 7, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Marty Turco won’t lie – there were times when not being able to find a job in the NHL was “a real kick in the pants.”
We assume he meant a kick in the front part of the pants, not the motivational kind of kick in the pants.
No disrespect to EC Red Bull Salzburg, with whom the veteran goalie played 10 games before signing with the Boston Bruins on Monday. But Austria isn’t the best league in the world.
“Part of the reason why I feel like I’ve had success, or even made the NHL for that matter, is the expectations I have, where you expect to be,” Turco, 36, said today. “So when you know you have better and you disappoint in previous seasons, not to be in the [NHL] or have belief from others can be demeaning.”
When exactly Turco will see action depends on how long he needs to get ready.
“If he’s ready to go soon we’ll see him soon, but if he needs a little time we’ll give him some time,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters. “At this point I’ll have to play it by ear.”
The B’s have back-to-back games this weekend — Saturday they host Washington, the next day they’re in Pittsburgh.
PS — If Sidney Crosby plays Sunday for the Penguins, Julien should definitely throw Turco out there. (“Good luck!”)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)