Mar 7, 2012, 7:15 PM EDT
Marty Turco won’t lie – there were times when not being able to find a job in the NHL was “a real kick in the pants.”
We assume he meant a kick in the front part of the pants, not the motivational kind of kick in the pants.
No disrespect to EC Red Bull Salzburg, with whom the veteran goalie played 10 games before signing with the Boston Bruins on Monday. But Austria isn’t the best league in the world.
“Part of the reason why I feel like I’ve had success, or even made the NHL for that matter, is the expectations I have, where you expect to be,” Turco, 36, said today. “So when you know you have better and you disappoint in previous seasons, not to be in the [NHL] or have belief from others can be demeaning.”
When exactly Turco will see action depends on how long he needs to get ready.
“If he’s ready to go soon we’ll see him soon, but if he needs a little time we’ll give him some time,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters. “At this point I’ll have to play it by ear.”
The B’s have back-to-back games this weekend — Saturday they host Washington, the next day they’re in Pittsburgh.
PS — If Sidney Crosby plays Sunday for the Penguins, Julien should definitely throw Turco out there. (“Good luck!”)
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)