Mar 7, 2012, 12:24 PM EDT
Turns out Peter Chiarelli’s concerns were for nothing.
A day after saying his team’s odds of landing Marty Turco were 50/50, Chiarelli learned Turco cleared waivers and became a Boston Bruin.
The news, first reported by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, probably elicited a huge sigh of relief within the Bruins organization. Backup netminder Tuukka Rask is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin/abdomen injury and with starter Tim Thomas nearing his 38th birthday, a capable replacement was in high demand.
The Bruins had been rolling with AHL Providence call-up Michael Hutchinson, but he’s only 22 years old with no NHL experience to speak of, splitting the last two years between Providence and ECHL Reading.
Turco, 36, does bring a wealth of experience…but also a fair bit of rust. His 2011-12 campaign consists of 10 appearances for Salzburg EC of the Austrian League, and we’re coming up on the one-year anniversary of his last NHL contest (Mar. 17, 2011 — a relief appearance in a 5-0 loss to Dallas.)
While other teams were given the opportunity to claim Turco, he wouldn’t have been eligible to play with any team other than Boston. Ergo, it was no surprise he cleared waivers or that he was on the ice for Bruins practice at Ristuccia Arena today, according to Matt Kalman of The Bruins Blog.
(Note: Because he joined the Bruins after the trade deadline, Turco is ineligible to participate in the playoffs.)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 8
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)