Mar 7, 2012, 12:24 PM EST
Turns out Peter Chiarelli’s concerns were for nothing.
A day after saying his team’s odds of landing Marty Turco were 50/50, Chiarelli learned Turco cleared waivers and became a Boston Bruin.
The news, first reported by ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, probably elicited a huge sigh of relief within the Bruins organization. Backup netminder Tuukka Rask is expected to miss 4-6 weeks with a groin/abdomen injury and with starter Tim Thomas nearing his 38th birthday, a capable replacement was in high demand.
The Bruins had been rolling with AHL Providence call-up Michael Hutchinson, but he’s only 22 years old with no NHL experience to speak of, splitting the last two years between Providence and ECHL Reading.
Turco, 36, does bring a wealth of experience…but also a fair bit of rust. His 2011-12 campaign consists of 10 appearances for Salzburg EC of the Austrian League, and we’re coming up on the one-year anniversary of his last NHL contest (Mar. 17, 2011 — a relief appearance in a 5-0 loss to Dallas.)
While other teams were given the opportunity to claim Turco, he wouldn’t have been eligible to play with any team other than Boston. Ergo, it was no surprise he cleared waivers or that he was on the ice for Bruins practice at Ristuccia Arena today, according to Matt Kalman of The Bruins Blog.
(Note: Because he joined the Bruins after the trade deadline, Turco is ineligible to participate in the playoffs.)
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)