Mar 7, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
With one combined point in their last six games, the Sedins have become the main topic of concern in Vancouver, where the Canucks have dropped back-to-back games in regulation for the first time since October.
Last night, it was a 5-2 loss to the Dallas Stars, leading The Province’s Tony Gallagher to write:
The twins are working hard enough, you can see that. But the magic has taken its leave and has been replaced by crippling frustration. They seem far apart from each other on the ice. There’s not the same sense of positioning with respect to the other guy.
And the question has to be when, or more troubling if, that magic is coming back. Throw in the hilarious performance from Alex Edler in this one – most of the humour coming on his fluke goal – and you have to say Samuel Pahlsson was the best Swede on the ice for Vancouver, and when that’s the case, they’re toast.
Theories abound as to why Henrik and Daniel are struggling:
—- They’re exhausted. The twins have played a ton of hockey over the last year, and they didn’t get the All-Star break off either.
—- Clutching and grabbing is back in the NHL, and that’s hindering their ability to operate.
—- Combine the declining number of penalties being called and the opposition knowing it has to stay out of the box against Vancouver, and they’re not getting as many opportunities on the power play.
—- The book is out, and it reads: Instead of giving them time and space, give them a crosscheck in the back.
If there’s reason for optimism as the playoffs approach, it’s Vancouver’s schedule. The Canucks are at home until March 19, and they only play four games between now and then. If the twins are tired, that should help.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 4
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 57
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 45
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)