Mar 7, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
With one combined point in their last six games, the Sedins have become the main topic of concern in Vancouver, where the Canucks have dropped back-to-back games in regulation for the first time since October.
Last night, it was a 5-2 loss to the Dallas Stars, leading The Province’s Tony Gallagher to write:
The twins are working hard enough, you can see that. But the magic has taken its leave and has been replaced by crippling frustration. They seem far apart from each other on the ice. There’s not the same sense of positioning with respect to the other guy.
And the question has to be when, or more troubling if, that magic is coming back. Throw in the hilarious performance from Alex Edler in this one – most of the humour coming on his fluke goal – and you have to say Samuel Pahlsson was the best Swede on the ice for Vancouver, and when that’s the case, they’re toast.
Theories abound as to why Henrik and Daniel are struggling:
—- They’re exhausted. The twins have played a ton of hockey over the last year, and they didn’t get the All-Star break off either.
—- Clutching and grabbing is back in the NHL, and that’s hindering their ability to operate.
—- Combine the declining number of penalties being called and the opposition knowing it has to stay out of the box against Vancouver, and they’re not getting as many opportunities on the power play.
—- The book is out, and it reads: Instead of giving them time and space, give them a crosscheck in the back.
If there’s reason for optimism as the playoffs approach, it’s Vancouver’s schedule. The Canucks are at home until March 19, and they only play four games between now and then. If the twins are tired, that should help.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 13
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 6
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 13
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 16
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 8
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35