Mar 7, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
With one combined point in their last six games, the Sedins have become the main topic of concern in Vancouver, where the Canucks have dropped back-to-back games in regulation for the first time since October.
Last night, it was a 5-2 loss to the Dallas Stars, leading The Province’s Tony Gallagher to write:
The twins are working hard enough, you can see that. But the magic has taken its leave and has been replaced by crippling frustration. They seem far apart from each other on the ice. There’s not the same sense of positioning with respect to the other guy.
And the question has to be when, or more troubling if, that magic is coming back. Throw in the hilarious performance from Alex Edler in this one – most of the humour coming on his fluke goal – and you have to say Samuel Pahlsson was the best Swede on the ice for Vancouver, and when that’s the case, they’re toast.
Theories abound as to why Henrik and Daniel are struggling:
—- They’re exhausted. The twins have played a ton of hockey over the last year, and they didn’t get the All-Star break off either.
—- Clutching and grabbing is back in the NHL, and that’s hindering their ability to operate.
—- Combine the declining number of penalties being called and the opposition knowing it has to stay out of the box against Vancouver, and they’re not getting as many opportunities on the power play.
—- The book is out, and it reads: Instead of giving them time and space, give them a crosscheck in the back.
If there’s reason for optimism as the playoffs approach, it’s Vancouver’s schedule. The Canucks are at home until March 19, and they only play four games between now and then. If the twins are tired, that should help.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 12
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 36
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6