Sean Avery’s days with Rangers franchise are done

Mar 7, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT

Sean Avery Getty Images

The New York Rangers franchise has essentially cut all ties to the Sean Avery Era.

Andrew Gross reports that the AHL’s Connecticut Whale told Avery that he won’t be on the minor league squad’s playoff roster and “no longer needs to report for practices or games.” They were too professional to finish that message with a sassy send-off, but let there be no doubt that this is the final in a series of cold shoulders.

The future for Avery

Avery will turn 32 years old on April 10. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

With those factors in mind, the league-minimum question might be: what kind of future is in store for the over-hyped agitator?

There were rumblings that two NHL teams were interested in scooping Avery up when he was last placed on waivers, so that implies that there could be at least a moderate market for his services. After all, if guys like Daniel Carcillo can keep getting contracts, why can’t Avery?

His value really couldn’t be much lower, however, as his career has been a disaster – albeit an entertaining one – ever since the Dallas Stars wildly overpaid him in 2008. My guess is that he’d get a minimal money offer, but unless he’s on the verge of becoming a star in the fashion industry, I’d imagine it might be worth it for him.

***

What kind of future do you envision for the Bart Simpson of hockey? Which teams might benefit from his blend of moderate (if over-stated) skill and sand paper? Do tell in the comments.

1. taytay099 - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

“Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.”

2. quonce - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:48 PM

My initial thought after reading this was sadness that he was taken off on a stretcher from a cheap and cowardess hit as part karma coming back on him.

Have fun designing hand bags.

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Good. His days in pro hockey are finally finished.

4. sportsfreak13 - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Anybody want the rangers sloppy seconds?

5. sheckyrimshot - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

is the league minimum still a gucci wallet and unlimited orange juice?

6. dougr42 - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM

WHO CARES!? I thought this was “pro hockey talk”?

Doesn’t NBC/Comcast own the the Style Network? Let them write about him.

7. stakex - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Eh I know its not a popular opinion, but I loved watching Avery play for the Rangers. If only he could stop taking awful penelties, and could find a way to get along with Torts I think he would have fit well with this Rangers team. Wasn’t to be though, and I have a feeling there was a lot more going on behind the scene here then meets the eyes.

My guess is that someone will sign him next year depending of course on what actually caused this early exit from the Rangers (and their AHL team). If it should come out that something really nasty took place between Avery and the Connecticut Whale staff…. I don’t think anyone will be willing to take a chance on him.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Nobody wanted him when he passed through waivers the first time this season and nobody is going to want him after this season is over.

8. uscthom78 - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

The minor league arm of the KHL maybe….

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I’d love to see how well his antics go over in Russia. That’s a league where guys swing their stick at their own coach, Avery would probably get two-handed in the face on his first shift. I doubt he wants that seeing as it would negatively affect his modelling future.

• dolanster - Mar 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

If Chris Simon can be a star in the KHL it’s got Avery written all over it. His North American days are over, but he could easily jack $300K+ from some Russian oil magnate. Go for it Seanski!

9. obamablowz - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Again?

10. rainyday56 - Mar 7, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Desperate Burke will sign him to a one year amid fanfare. Will ditch him by Xmas. Hey, I called the Carlyle hiring didn’t I?

11. bufordmaddogtannen - Mar 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Well, the Texas Brahmas could certainly use his services.

12. cmutimmah - Mar 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I like Avery, he keeps it interesting out there. I still can’t believe it took over 100 years for someone to turn around, face the goalie, and try to cover their eyes… Funniest game I’ve ever seen.

13. hockeyflow33 - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:50 AM

He was a decent player when he wasn’t being a moron

14. lsxphotog - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Well, if he’s no longer “Pro Hockey” I guess this means we can all stop talking about him? haha FINALLY!

15. brian32556 - Mar 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM

I understand why most people dislike him, but I thought he tried to fit in the last two years when he WAS given a chance. He was a good forechecker and forced many turnovers. Unfortunately, Torts, and most of the public, couldn’t get past that gritty, vulgar reputation.

@1943mrmojorisin1971 I think you are wrong. As mentioned in the article, there was some interest and I bet one hockey puck that someone does take a chance on him.

16. bbk1000 - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM

It’s easy to tell most folks who have commented here don’t understand hockey or haven’t seen him play.

When he played smart this guy could drive the opposing team nuts and still put the puck in the net.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches