Mar 7, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
The New York Rangers franchise has essentially cut all ties to the Sean Avery Era.
Andrew Gross reports that the AHL’s Connecticut Whale told Avery that he won’t be on the minor league squad’s playoff roster and “no longer needs to report for practices or games.” They were too professional to finish that message with a sassy send-off, but let there be no doubt that this is the final in a series of cold shoulders.
The future for Avery
Avery will turn 32 years old on April 10. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent this summer.
With those factors in mind, the league-minimum question might be: what kind of future is in store for the over-hyped agitator?
There were rumblings that two NHL teams were interested in scooping Avery up when he was last placed on waivers, so that implies that there could be at least a moderate market for his services. After all, if guys like Daniel Carcillo can keep getting contracts, why can’t Avery?
His value really couldn’t be much lower, however, as his career has been a disaster – albeit an entertaining one – ever since the Dallas Stars wildly overpaid him in 2008. My guess is that he’d get a minimal money offer, but unless he’s on the verge of becoming a star in the fashion industry, I’d imagine it might be worth it for him.
What kind of future do you envision for the Bart Simpson of hockey? Which teams might benefit from his blend of moderate (if over-stated) skill and sand paper? Do tell in the comments.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)