Mar 7, 2012, 6:09 PM EST
Midway through the third period, Tootoo got into a scrum with Kings defenseman Matt Greene. Champoux intervened, but inadvertently struck Tootoo with his helmet — to which Tootoo responded by shoving the veteran official.
Tootoo received a 10-minute misconduct for his actions, but was saved from further punishment thanks to an intervention from head coach Barry Trotz.
“I talked to the supervisor [Mick McGeough],” Trotz said. “They had a supervisor at the game and he saw the situation where the linesman actually, inadvertently, really head-butted Toots with his helmet right in the face, so your natural reaction is to push away when you get punched in the face, especially when there’s people scrumming around.
“They talked about that and they asked me if I would just talk to Toots and make sure that he knew that and so I don’t anticipate anything come from it. That was their statement to me.”
(Mike Organ of The Tennessean also confirms no supplementary discipline for Tootoo.)
Even though he appears to be off the hook, Tootoo feared his actions would be costly. He’s already been suspended once this season (two games for bowling over Sabres goalie Ryan Miller) and has a reputation for making poor snap decisions, stemming from this incident with Dallas’ Stephane Robidas:
Tootoo said he regretting shoving Champoux.
“My initial reaction when someone hits you in the head, that’s your first reaction is to protect yourself and it was a situation that happened in a split-second,” he said. “As far as I know, it’s been dealt with. That’s not part of my DNA is to do what I did. It’s just a reaction protecting myself.
“I’m sorry for what happened. We just got to move on from the situation.”
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)