Mar 7, 2012, 3:06 PM EST
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
On the bubble: San Jose Sharks
Where they stand: 8th in the West, tied in points with 9th-place Los Angeles, but with a game in hand
Games remaining: 17
SportsClubStats.com says: 71.7% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
They’re the Sharks. You know, the same team that hasn’t missed the postseason since before the lockout and nearly made the Stanley Cup finals last year. On Feb.13, San Jose was 31-17-6 and a shoe-in to make the playoffs. The Sharks didn’t just get awful overnight, did they? Every team has bad stretches, and they’re on one now. Plus they might be getting Martin Havlat back soon.
Why they won’t:
There are bad stretches, and there are bad stretches. The Sharks are 2-7-2 in their last 11. They’ve scored just four times in their last four outings. They lost Tuesday at home in a shootout to Edmonton, one of the worst teams in the NHL. And tomorrow they start a four-game road trip.
“We’re in a funk and we need to get out of it and get it going. It’s easy to talk. We have to get it done on the ice, get some wins, get the confidence level up as a team. We’re too good a team to let this go on any longer.”– Sharks defenseman Douglas Murray
Key game coming up:
Thursday in Dallas against the Pacific Division-leading Stars.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)