Mar 7, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
This afternoon the Penguins honored their greatest player in the biggest way imaginable by unveiling “Le Magnifique,” a statue of Mario Lemieux.
The statue stands over 10 feet tall and is made of bronze, depicting Lemieux in his gear taking the ice. It’s positioned near the front entrance of CONSOL Energy Center, an arena that would never have been built without Lemieux purchasing the Penguins years ago, ensuring they stayed in Pittsburgh.
If you’re curious what 10 feet of bronze weighs in at, how does 4,700 pounds — over two-and-a-quarter tons — sound to you? It sounds like a creation fitting for the guy who helped bring the Penguins their first two Stanley Cups and literally saved the franchise. Lemieux’s legacy in Pittsburgh is incredible considering his playing prowess as well as what he had to fight through to keep playing. From getting over cancer to back problems, Lemieux’s career is nothing short of amazing.
Now let’s just hope Flyers and Rangers fans can restrain themselves from dressing Mario’s statue up in their team gear during the playoffs.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)