Mar 7, 2012, 12:38 PM EST
This afternoon the Penguins honored their greatest player in the biggest way imaginable by unveiling “Le Magnifique,” a statue of Mario Lemieux.
The statue stands over 10 feet tall and is made of bronze, depicting Lemieux in his gear taking the ice. It’s positioned near the front entrance of CONSOL Energy Center, an arena that would never have been built without Lemieux purchasing the Penguins years ago, ensuring they stayed in Pittsburgh.
If you’re curious what 10 feet of bronze weighs in at, how does 4,700 pounds — over two-and-a-quarter tons — sound to you? It sounds like a creation fitting for the guy who helped bring the Penguins their first two Stanley Cups and literally saved the franchise. Lemieux’s legacy in Pittsburgh is incredible considering his playing prowess as well as what he had to fight through to keep playing. From getting over cancer to back problems, Lemieux’s career is nothing short of amazing.
Now let’s just hope Flyers and Rangers fans can restrain themselves from dressing Mario’s statue up in their team gear during the playoffs.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)