Mar 7, 2012, 11:09 PM EDT
The reports of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ playoff death have been greatly exaggerated; then again, maybe they’ve just been premature.
Toronto has been reasonably competitive with Randy Carlyle in charge, yet two one-goal losses to two strong contenders has the team in a bad spot – again. After dropping a 5-4 defeat to the Boston Bruins last night, the Maple Leafs couldn’t hold onto a third period lead against the Pittsburgh Penguins, who took their seventh consecutive victory via a 3-2 regulation triumph.
The Buds were up 2-1 going into the final frame but couldn’t close out Pittsburgh to salvage a tough back-to-back set. Brian Compton points out that the Maple Leafs were 20-0-1 when they had a third period lead before tonight.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
The New York Rangers are struggling – a bit – so it’s not crazy for Pittsburgh to think big amid this streak. Still, the bigger impact obviously seems to be on Toronto’s side.
Buffalo climbed into a legitimate place in the run with its win, so things look doubly dim for the playoff-starved Leafs. Here’s Sports Club Stats’ take on who has the best chance to make the postseason:
Winnipeg: 46.7 percent chance
Washington: 41 percent chance
Buffalo: 12.3 percent chance
Tampa Bay: 12.3 percent chance
Toronto: 8.3 percent chance
To give you a little more perspective on how much of a bummer Wednesday has been for the Buds, chew on this. Buffalo’s odds went up 3.7 percent while Toronto’s chances dropped by 4.7 percent with that four-point swing.
Believe it or not, the Maple Leafs aren’t totally out of it. Some might argue that they even have some positives to build on. It just so happens that their chances keep declining and those moral victories keep mattering less and less. “Almost” probably doesn’t matter much to fans who haven’t seen Toronto in the playoffs since the lockout, after all.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)