Mar 7, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
Congratulations to the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, who set a junior hockey record last night with their 41st consecutive victory, breaking the mark held by both the 1989-90 Sudbury Cubs and 1999-00 Rayside-Balfour Sabrecats.
To notch their 41st W in a row, the Vees had to squeak out a 10-0 decision over the Trail Smoke Eaters
in a game that was a lot closer than the final score suggested.
“It’s unbelievable. Not many people get to do this and not many people achieve this,” Vees defenseman Mike Reilly said. “It’s something that’s never going to happen again in your life, so we’re just kinda taking it all in and going day by day with it.”
The Penticton junior team (it’s been known as the Vees, Broncos, Knights and Panthers) boasts a number of former and current NHL stars on its list of alumni, including Brett Hull, Paul Kariya, Duncan Keith, Ray Ferraro, Andy Moog, Brendan Morrison, and, of course, Tanner Glass.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)