Mar 7, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
Congratulations to the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, who set a junior hockey record last night with their 41st consecutive victory, breaking the mark held by both the 1989-90 Sudbury Cubs and 1999-00 Rayside-Balfour Sabrecats.
To notch their 41st W in a row, the Vees had to squeak out a 10-0 decision over the Trail Smoke Eaters
in a game that was a lot closer than the final score suggested.
“It’s unbelievable. Not many people get to do this and not many people achieve this,” Vees defenseman Mike Reilly said. “It’s something that’s never going to happen again in your life, so we’re just kinda taking it all in and going day by day with it.”
The Penticton junior team (it’s been known as the Vees, Broncos, Knights and Panthers) boasts a number of former and current NHL stars on its list of alumni, including Brett Hull, Paul Kariya, Duncan Keith, Ray Ferraro, Andy Moog, Brendan Morrison, and, of course, Tanner Glass.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)