Mar 7, 2012, 4:29 PM EST
Congratulations to the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, who set a junior hockey record last night with their 41st consecutive victory, breaking the mark held by both the 1989-90 Sudbury Cubs and 1999-00 Rayside-Balfour Sabrecats.
To notch their 41st W in a row, the Vees had to squeak out a 10-0 decision over the Trail Smoke Eaters
in a game that was a lot closer than the final score suggested.
“It’s unbelievable. Not many people get to do this and not many people achieve this,” Vees defenseman Mike Reilly said. “It’s something that’s never going to happen again in your life, so we’re just kinda taking it all in and going day by day with it.”
The Penticton junior team (it’s been known as the Vees, Broncos, Knights and Panthers) boasts a number of former and current NHL stars on its list of alumni, including Brett Hull, Paul Kariya, Duncan Keith, Ray Ferraro, Andy Moog, Brendan Morrison, and, of course, Tanner Glass.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)