Mar 7, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn is having himself quite the year.
He’s six points away from setting a career-high in scoring, Dallas’ lone All-Star and, oh yeah, enjoying life atop the Pacific Division and third in the Western Conference.
Now — in what’s obviously the biggest honor of all — he’s been given his own blog.
Benn has joined the Big Gulps-and-sweatpants set as a blogger for 102.1 The Edge, an alternative rock station in Dallas/Fort Worth.
Here’s his first entry:
Last night we were in Vancouver (where we won 5-2) ending a long road trip through Canada. In Calgary we enjoyed a great dinner at Joey Eau Claire where I got to catch up with a few friends I grew up with. Of course food is a hockey past time and game day breakfasts have been a feast of eggs, bacon, waffles and more — just fuel for the game.
Next to food, music is important to the locker room atmosphere. On this road trip we are listening to a full spectrum from AC/DC to Tragically Hip, a favorite Canadian band. The playlist looks like this:
• AC/DC, You Shook Me All Night Long
• Rihanna, Diamonds in the Sky
• Jay Z, everything
• Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa Featuring Bruno Mars, Young, wild and free
• Jason Aldean, Big Green Tractor
Come out to a home game this Thursday against San Jose and Saturday against Anaheim! Go STARS!
– Pretty sure that 50 years from now, teams will still be playing AC/DC in their dressing rooms. It’s one of those timeless hockey traditions, like ordering the most expensive wine at a rookie dinner…for the table of ladies in the corner.
– Benn must be a Jay-Z fanatic given he listens to “everything.” Probably a safer way to show his appreciation than, you know, dressing up like him for Halloween.
– Regarding the fully-loaded breakfast: Like any professional athletes, NHLers do pay attention to health and nutrition. But eventually, food just becomes food. In the playoffs, for example — guys play a punishing style of hockey every other night and are basically emaciated. Remember Zdeno Chara slamming a Coke during Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals? That was one of those “Screw it, give me some caffeine and sugar” moments. Happens more often than you think.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)