Mar 7, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn is having himself quite the year.
He’s six points away from setting a career-high in scoring, Dallas’ lone All-Star and, oh yeah, enjoying life atop the Pacific Division and third in the Western Conference.
Now — in what’s obviously the biggest honor of all — he’s been given his own blog.
Benn has joined the Big Gulps-and-sweatpants set as a blogger for 102.1 The Edge, an alternative rock station in Dallas/Fort Worth.
Here’s his first entry:
Last night we were in Vancouver (where we won 5-2) ending a long road trip through Canada. In Calgary we enjoyed a great dinner at Joey Eau Claire where I got to catch up with a few friends I grew up with. Of course food is a hockey past time and game day breakfasts have been a feast of eggs, bacon, waffles and more — just fuel for the game.
Next to food, music is important to the locker room atmosphere. On this road trip we are listening to a full spectrum from AC/DC to Tragically Hip, a favorite Canadian band. The playlist looks like this:
• AC/DC, You Shook Me All Night Long
• Rihanna, Diamonds in the Sky
• Jay Z, everything
• Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa Featuring Bruno Mars, Young, wild and free
• Jason Aldean, Big Green Tractor
Come out to a home game this Thursday against San Jose and Saturday against Anaheim! Go STARS!
— Pretty sure that 50 years from now, teams will still be playing AC/DC in their dressing rooms. It’s one of those timeless hockey traditions, like ordering the most expensive wine at a rookie dinner…for the table of ladies in the corner.
— Benn must be a Jay-Z fanatic given he listens to “everything.” Probably a safer way to show his appreciation than, you know, dressing up like him for Halloween.
— Regarding the fully-loaded breakfast: Like any professional athletes, NHLers do pay attention to health and nutrition. But eventually, food just becomes food. In the playoffs, for example — guys play a punishing style of hockey every other night and are basically emaciated. Remember Zdeno Chara slamming a Coke during Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals? That was one of those “Screw it, give me some caffeine and sugar” moments. Happens more often than you think.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)