Mar 7, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn is having himself quite the year.
He’s six points away from setting a career-high in scoring, Dallas’ lone All-Star and, oh yeah, enjoying life atop the Pacific Division and third in the Western Conference.
Now — in what’s obviously the biggest honor of all — he’s been given his own blog.
Benn has joined the Big Gulps-and-sweatpants set as a blogger for 102.1 The Edge, an alternative rock station in Dallas/Fort Worth.
Here’s his first entry:
Last night we were in Vancouver (where we won 5-2) ending a long road trip through Canada. In Calgary we enjoyed a great dinner at Joey Eau Claire where I got to catch up with a few friends I grew up with. Of course food is a hockey past time and game day breakfasts have been a feast of eggs, bacon, waffles and more — just fuel for the game.
Next to food, music is important to the locker room atmosphere. On this road trip we are listening to a full spectrum from AC/DC to Tragically Hip, a favorite Canadian band. The playlist looks like this:
• AC/DC, You Shook Me All Night Long
• Rihanna, Diamonds in the Sky
• Jay Z, everything
• Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa Featuring Bruno Mars, Young, wild and free
• Jason Aldean, Big Green Tractor
Come out to a home game this Thursday against San Jose and Saturday against Anaheim! Go STARS!
– Pretty sure that 50 years from now, teams will still be playing AC/DC in their dressing rooms. It’s one of those timeless hockey traditions, like ordering the most expensive wine at a rookie dinner…for the table of ladies in the corner.
– Benn must be a Jay-Z fanatic given he listens to “everything.” Probably a safer way to show his appreciation than, you know, dressing up like him for Halloween.
– Regarding the fully-loaded breakfast: Like any professional athletes, NHLers do pay attention to health and nutrition. But eventually, food just becomes food. In the playoffs, for example — guys play a punishing style of hockey every other night and are basically emaciated. Remember Zdeno Chara slamming a Coke during Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals? That was one of those “Screw it, give me some caffeine and sugar” moments. Happens more often than you think.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)