Mar 7, 2012, 3:38 PM EST
Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn is having himself quite the year.
He’s six points away from setting a career-high in scoring, Dallas’ lone All-Star and, oh yeah, enjoying life atop the Pacific Division and third in the Western Conference.
Now — in what’s obviously the biggest honor of all — he’s been given his own blog.
Benn has joined the Big Gulps-and-sweatpants set as a blogger for 102.1 The Edge, an alternative rock station in Dallas/Fort Worth.
Here’s his first entry:
Last night we were in Vancouver (where we won 5-2) ending a long road trip through Canada. In Calgary we enjoyed a great dinner at Joey Eau Claire where I got to catch up with a few friends I grew up with. Of course food is a hockey past time and game day breakfasts have been a feast of eggs, bacon, waffles and more — just fuel for the game.
Next to food, music is important to the locker room atmosphere. On this road trip we are listening to a full spectrum from AC/DC to Tragically Hip, a favorite Canadian band. The playlist looks like this:
• AC/DC, You Shook Me All Night Long
• Rihanna, Diamonds in the Sky
• Jay Z, everything
• Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa Featuring Bruno Mars, Young, wild and free
• Jason Aldean, Big Green Tractor
Come out to a home game this Thursday against San Jose and Saturday against Anaheim! Go STARS!
– Pretty sure that 50 years from now, teams will still be playing AC/DC in their dressing rooms. It’s one of those timeless hockey traditions, like ordering the most expensive wine at a rookie dinner…for the table of ladies in the corner.
– Benn must be a Jay-Z fanatic given he listens to “everything.” Probably a safer way to show his appreciation than, you know, dressing up like him for Halloween.
– Regarding the fully-loaded breakfast: Like any professional athletes, NHLers do pay attention to health and nutrition. But eventually, food just becomes food. In the playoffs, for example — guys play a punishing style of hockey every other night and are basically emaciated. Remember Zdeno Chara slamming a Coke during Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals? That was one of those “Screw it, give me some caffeine and sugar” moments. Happens more often than you think.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)