Mar 7, 2012, 3:38 PM EDT
Dallas Stars forward Jamie Benn is having himself quite the year.
He’s six points away from setting a career-high in scoring, Dallas’ lone All-Star and, oh yeah, enjoying life atop the Pacific Division and third in the Western Conference.
Now — in what’s obviously the biggest honor of all — he’s been given his own blog.
Benn has joined the Big Gulps-and-sweatpants set as a blogger for 102.1 The Edge, an alternative rock station in Dallas/Fort Worth.
Here’s his first entry:
Last night we were in Vancouver (where we won 5-2) ending a long road trip through Canada. In Calgary we enjoyed a great dinner at Joey Eau Claire where I got to catch up with a few friends I grew up with. Of course food is a hockey past time and game day breakfasts have been a feast of eggs, bacon, waffles and more — just fuel for the game.
Next to food, music is important to the locker room atmosphere. On this road trip we are listening to a full spectrum from AC/DC to Tragically Hip, a favorite Canadian band. The playlist looks like this:
• AC/DC, You Shook Me All Night Long
• Rihanna, Diamonds in the Sky
• Jay Z, everything
• Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa Featuring Bruno Mars, Young, wild and free
• Jason Aldean, Big Green Tractor
Come out to a home game this Thursday against San Jose and Saturday against Anaheim! Go STARS!
— Pretty sure that 50 years from now, teams will still be playing AC/DC in their dressing rooms. It’s one of those timeless hockey traditions, like ordering the most expensive wine at a rookie dinner…for the table of ladies in the corner.
— Benn must be a Jay-Z fanatic given he listens to “everything.” Probably a safer way to show his appreciation than, you know, dressing up like him for Halloween.
— Regarding the fully-loaded breakfast: Like any professional athletes, NHLers do pay attention to health and nutrition. But eventually, food just becomes food. In the playoffs, for example — guys play a punishing style of hockey every other night and are basically emaciated. Remember Zdeno Chara slamming a Coke during Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals? That was one of those “Screw it, give me some caffeine and sugar” moments. Happens more often than you think.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)