Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
There was a bit of karma at play during New Jersey’s 4-1 win over the Rangers on Tuesday.
New York’s Brandon Dubinsky — who, last week, called out Devils forward David Clarkson for his “selectivity” in choosing fight partners — was challenged to a scrap by Clarkson’s teammate, Ryan Carter. The bout left Dubinsky with an injured hand (which we’ll get to in a second) and Carter issuing some words for the Rangers center.
“I don’t think the two games were too happy with how the other handled the situation,” Carter told ESPN New York. “Talking to [Clarkson] I think there were some comments made that probably didn’t need to be made. I don’t know if he wanted to play that type of game again tonight. I saw him give [Eric] Boulton a slash in the leg and we kind of went from there.”
Dubinsky fought Clarkson during the Rangers’ 2-0 win against New Jersey last Monday and had some choice words of his own afterward, telling reporters Clarkson “seems to turn away at the tougher guys,” and “say ‘no’ a lot,” when asked to fight.
Speaking of Dubinsky — his hand injury occurred just 3:03 into the first period last night and forced him from the game. Upon watching the video, it’s surprising Dubi didn’t leave with a jaw injury:
The Rangers will update Dubinsky’s status today, though Larry Brooks of the New York Post was quick to speculate that, if it’s any kind of hand fracture, Dubinsky is “likely to miss a considerable number of the 17 games that remain before the season concludes one month from today.”
UPDATE: Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News confirms that Dubinsky wasn’t on the ice at today’s practice.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)