Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 AM EST
There was a bit of karma at play during New Jersey’s 4-1 win over the Rangers on Tuesday.
New York’s Brandon Dubinsky — who, last week, called out Devils forward David Clarkson for his “selectivity” in choosing fight partners — was challenged to a scrap by Clarkson’s teammate, Ryan Carter. The bout left Dubinsky with an injured hand (which we’ll get to in a second) and Carter issuing some words for the Rangers center.
“I don’t think the two games were too happy with how the other handled the situation,” Carter told ESPN New York. “Talking to [Clarkson] I think there were some comments made that probably didn’t need to be made. I don’t know if he wanted to play that type of game again tonight. I saw him give [Eric] Boulton a slash in the leg and we kind of went from there.”
Dubinsky fought Clarkson during the Rangers’ 2-0 win against New Jersey last Monday and had some choice words of his own afterward, telling reporters Clarkson “seems to turn away at the tougher guys,” and “say ‘no’ a lot,” when asked to fight.
Speaking of Dubinsky — his hand injury occurred just 3:03 into the first period last night and forced him from the game. Upon watching the video, it’s surprising Dubi didn’t leave with a jaw injury:
The Rangers will update Dubinsky’s status today, though Larry Brooks of the New York Post was quick to speculate that, if it’s any kind of hand fracture, Dubinsky is “likely to miss a considerable number of the 17 games that remain before the season concludes one month from today.”
UPDATE: Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News confirms that Dubinsky wasn’t on the ice at today’s practice.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)