Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
There was a bit of karma at play during New Jersey’s 4-1 win over the Rangers on Tuesday.
New York’s Brandon Dubinsky — who, last week, called out Devils forward David Clarkson for his “selectivity” in choosing fight partners — was challenged to a scrap by Clarkson’s teammate, Ryan Carter. The bout left Dubinsky with an injured hand (which we’ll get to in a second) and Carter issuing some words for the Rangers center.
“I don’t think the two games were too happy with how the other handled the situation,” Carter told ESPN New York. “Talking to [Clarkson] I think there were some comments made that probably didn’t need to be made. I don’t know if he wanted to play that type of game again tonight. I saw him give [Eric] Boulton a slash in the leg and we kind of went from there.”
Dubinsky fought Clarkson during the Rangers’ 2-0 win against New Jersey last Monday and had some choice words of his own afterward, telling reporters Clarkson “seems to turn away at the tougher guys,” and “say ‘no’ a lot,” when asked to fight.
Speaking of Dubinsky — his hand injury occurred just 3:03 into the first period last night and forced him from the game. Upon watching the video, it’s surprising Dubi didn’t leave with a jaw injury:
The Rangers will update Dubinsky’s status today, though Larry Brooks of the New York Post was quick to speculate that, if it’s any kind of hand fracture, Dubinsky is “likely to miss a considerable number of the 17 games that remain before the season concludes one month from today.”
UPDATE: Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News confirms that Dubinsky wasn’t on the ice at today’s practice.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)