Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
There was a bit of karma at play during New Jersey’s 4-1 win over the Rangers on Tuesday.
New York’s Brandon Dubinsky — who, last week, called out Devils forward David Clarkson for his “selectivity” in choosing fight partners — was challenged to a scrap by Clarkson’s teammate, Ryan Carter. The bout left Dubinsky with an injured hand (which we’ll get to in a second) and Carter issuing some words for the Rangers center.
“I don’t think the two games were too happy with how the other handled the situation,” Carter told ESPN New York. “Talking to [Clarkson] I think there were some comments made that probably didn’t need to be made. I don’t know if he wanted to play that type of game again tonight. I saw him give [Eric] Boulton a slash in the leg and we kind of went from there.”
Dubinsky fought Clarkson during the Rangers’ 2-0 win against New Jersey last Monday and had some choice words of his own afterward, telling reporters Clarkson “seems to turn away at the tougher guys,” and “say ‘no’ a lot,” when asked to fight.
Speaking of Dubinsky — his hand injury occurred just 3:03 into the first period last night and forced him from the game. Upon watching the video, it’s surprising Dubi didn’t leave with a jaw injury:
The Rangers will update Dubinsky’s status today, though Larry Brooks of the New York Post was quick to speculate that, if it’s any kind of hand fracture, Dubinsky is “likely to miss a considerable number of the 17 games that remain before the season concludes one month from today.”
UPDATE: Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News confirms that Dubinsky wasn’t on the ice at today’s practice.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)