Mar 7, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
There was a bit of karma at play during New Jersey’s 4-1 win over the Rangers on Tuesday.
New York’s Brandon Dubinsky — who, last week, called out Devils forward David Clarkson for his “selectivity” in choosing fight partners — was challenged to a scrap by Clarkson’s teammate, Ryan Carter. The bout left Dubinsky with an injured hand (which we’ll get to in a second) and Carter issuing some words for the Rangers center.
“I don’t think the two games were too happy with how the other handled the situation,” Carter told ESPN New York. “Talking to [Clarkson] I think there were some comments made that probably didn’t need to be made. I don’t know if he wanted to play that type of game again tonight. I saw him give [Eric] Boulton a slash in the leg and we kind of went from there.”
Dubinsky fought Clarkson during the Rangers’ 2-0 win against New Jersey last Monday and had some choice words of his own afterward, telling reporters Clarkson “seems to turn away at the tougher guys,” and “say ‘no’ a lot,” when asked to fight.
Speaking of Dubinsky — his hand injury occurred just 3:03 into the first period last night and forced him from the game. Upon watching the video, it’s surprising Dubi didn’t leave with a jaw injury:
The Rangers will update Dubinsky’s status today, though Larry Brooks of the New York Post was quick to speculate that, if it’s any kind of hand fracture, Dubinsky is “likely to miss a considerable number of the 17 games that remain before the season concludes one month from today.”
UPDATE: Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News confirms that Dubinsky wasn’t on the ice at today’s practice.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination