Mar 7, 2012, 4:58 PM EDT
It promises to be an awkward affair for Jeff Carter on Thursday when the Los Angeles Kings face the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
Carter’s brief, acrimonious stint in Ohio — he was with the Jackets for eight months — was a predominant storyline this season. There were numerous reports he didn’t like the trade that brought him to Columbus and that he never felt comfortable there, something Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider asked him about.
Question: There’s a segment of the (Columbus) fan base, as you know, that has the opinion that you never really wanted to be here? What would you say to people who think that?
Carter: I think that’s tough to say. I don’t know if that’s completely true. Obviously when I got traded from Philly, it was hard on me, something that I didn’t expect. Over time, you get over that. I came in here [Columbus] with an open mind. There were a lot of expectations around the team, from the fans and the city and stuff like that.
For whatever reason, it didn’t really work out that way, and things just started to snowball from there. When you’re losing games, like we did, and giving up leads late, it’s pretty tough on guys. It’s hard to kind of keep going. It was a tough year.
As for the reaction he expects from Blue Jackets fans?
“[Laughs] I don’t know. We’ll see what happens there,” Carter said. “It’s going to be interesting.’’
Lost in the Carter hoopla is that Columbus has won three straight games…yes, National Hockey League games! The Jackets first defeated the Avalanche — then the Coyotes in back-to-back contests — for their first three-game winning streak of the season.
This is a testament 1) to how well they’ve played of late, and 2) how miserable this season has been for BJs fans. It took until Mar. 6 for Columbus to get a three-game winning streak, and two of ‘em came against the Coyotes. What a year.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)