Mar 7, 2012, 4:58 PM EST
It promises to be an awkward affair for Jeff Carter on Thursday when the Los Angeles Kings face the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
Carter’s brief, acrimonious stint in Ohio — he was with the Jackets for eight months — was a predominant storyline this season. There were numerous reports he didn’t like the trade that brought him to Columbus and that he never felt comfortable there, something Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider asked him about.
Question: There’s a segment of the (Columbus) fan base, as you know, that has the opinion that you never really wanted to be here? What would you say to people who think that?
Carter: I think that’s tough to say. I don’t know if that’s completely true. Obviously when I got traded from Philly, it was hard on me, something that I didn’t expect. Over time, you get over that. I came in here [Columbus] with an open mind. There were a lot of expectations around the team, from the fans and the city and stuff like that.
For whatever reason, it didn’t really work out that way, and things just started to snowball from there. When you’re losing games, like we did, and giving up leads late, it’s pretty tough on guys. It’s hard to kind of keep going. It was a tough year.
As for the reaction he expects from Blue Jackets fans?
“[Laughs] I don’t know. We’ll see what happens there,” Carter said. “It’s going to be interesting.’’
Lost in the Carter hoopla is that Columbus has won three straight games…yes, National Hockey League games! The Jackets first defeated the Avalanche — then the Coyotes in back-to-back contests — for their first three-game winning streak of the season.
This is a testament 1) to how well they’ve played of late, and 2) how miserable this season has been for BJs fans. It took until Mar. 6 for Columbus to get a three-game winning streak, and two of ‘em came against the Coyotes. What a year.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)