Mar 7, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
Washington rookie defenseman Dmitry Orlov might be hearing from the league today, but not because he put a nasty hit on an opponent.
Instead, Orlov could be disciplined by the league for shoving linesman Jean Morin during last night’s 4-3 overtime loss to the Hurricanes. Orlov was given a 10-minute misconduct for his shove to Morin during a scrum that erupted after a collision into the boards with Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner. Check out the video from CSN Washington to see Orlov lose his cool.
Orlov appeared to lose his cool in a big way because he may have been slew-footed by Skinner, something Skinner flatly denies to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley saying he thought Orlov just slipped.
“I didn’t see the position of my feet,” Skinner said. “I just sort of stood my ground. He tried to come and hit me and I slipped. There’s not much I can do there.”
Meanwhile, an anonymous Caps player tells Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times that Skinner was pulling shenanigans all night long.
“If you can get a hold of the tape, you can clearly see his leg come out and trip him there,” said one Capitals player who spoke to The Washington Times on the condition of anonymity. “That’s a terribly dangerous play.”
Even if there was a slew foot involved, it’s an act that hasn’t been punished severely by the league this season. Separate slew foot incidents that have been caught on tape have resulted in $2,500 fines and with Skinner having no previous record, if there was something to warrant action that would likely be the maximum result.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 22
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 24
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 11
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 74
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)