Mar 7, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
Washington rookie defenseman Dmitry Orlov might be hearing from the league today, but not because he put a nasty hit on an opponent.
Instead, Orlov could be disciplined by the league for shoving linesman Jean Morin during last night’s 4-3 overtime loss to the Hurricanes. Orlov was given a 10-minute misconduct for his shove to Morin during a scrum that erupted after a collision into the boards with Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner. Check out the video from CSN Washington to see Orlov lose his cool.
Orlov appeared to lose his cool in a big way because he may have been slew-footed by Skinner, something Skinner flatly denies to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley saying he thought Orlov just slipped.
“I didn’t see the position of my feet,” Skinner said. “I just sort of stood my ground. He tried to come and hit me and I slipped. There’s not much I can do there.”
Meanwhile, an anonymous Caps player tells Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times that Skinner was pulling shenanigans all night long.
“If you can get a hold of the tape, you can clearly see his leg come out and trip him there,” said one Capitals player who spoke to The Washington Times on the condition of anonymity. “That’s a terribly dangerous play.”
Even if there was a slew foot involved, it’s an act that hasn’t been punished severely by the league this season. Separate slew foot incidents that have been caught on tape have resulted in $2,500 fines and with Skinner having no previous record, if there was something to warrant action that would likely be the maximum result.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)