Mar 7, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
Washington rookie defenseman Dmitry Orlov might be hearing from the league today, but not because he put a nasty hit on an opponent.
Instead, Orlov could be disciplined by the league for shoving linesman Jean Morin during last night’s 4-3 overtime loss to the Hurricanes. Orlov was given a 10-minute misconduct for his shove to Morin during a scrum that erupted after a collision into the boards with Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner. Check out the video from CSN Washington to see Orlov lose his cool.
Orlov appeared to lose his cool in a big way because he may have been slew-footed by Skinner, something Skinner flatly denies to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley saying he thought Orlov just slipped.
“I didn’t see the position of my feet,” Skinner said. “I just sort of stood my ground. He tried to come and hit me and I slipped. There’s not much I can do there.”
Meanwhile, an anonymous Caps player tells Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times that Skinner was pulling shenanigans all night long.
“If you can get a hold of the tape, you can clearly see his leg come out and trip him there,” said one Capitals player who spoke to The Washington Times on the condition of anonymity. “That’s a terribly dangerous play.”
Even if there was a slew foot involved, it’s an act that hasn’t been punished severely by the league this season. Separate slew foot incidents that have been caught on tape have resulted in $2,500 fines and with Skinner having no previous record, if there was something to warrant action that would likely be the maximum result.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)