Mar 7, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
Washington rookie defenseman Dmitry Orlov might be hearing from the league today, but not because he put a nasty hit on an opponent.
Instead, Orlov could be disciplined by the league for shoving linesman Jean Morin during last night’s 4-3 overtime loss to the Hurricanes. Orlov was given a 10-minute misconduct for his shove to Morin during a scrum that erupted after a collision into the boards with Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner. Check out the video from CSN Washington to see Orlov lose his cool.
Orlov appeared to lose his cool in a big way because he may have been slew-footed by Skinner, something Skinner flatly denies to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley saying he thought Orlov just slipped.
“I didn’t see the position of my feet,” Skinner said. “I just sort of stood my ground. He tried to come and hit me and I slipped. There’s not much I can do there.”
Meanwhile, an anonymous Caps player tells Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times that Skinner was pulling shenanigans all night long.
“If you can get a hold of the tape, you can clearly see his leg come out and trip him there,” said one Capitals player who spoke to The Washington Times on the condition of anonymity. “That’s a terribly dangerous play.”
Even if there was a slew foot involved, it’s an act that hasn’t been punished severely by the league this season. Separate slew foot incidents that have been caught on tape have resulted in $2,500 fines and with Skinner having no previous record, if there was something to warrant action that would likely be the maximum result.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)