Mar 6, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
He’s only played three games since being traded from Buffalo, but Zack Kassian is already drawing rave reviews in Vancouver. The big, tough 21-year-old winger has a goal, an assist and a whole bunch of hits for the Canucks, and tonight he’s been promoted to the second line with Ryan Kesler and David Booth.
Coach Alain Vigneault thinks it’s a trio that could be tough to handle if Kassian can maintain his current level of play.
“They’ve got speed, size and skill and two of three have a little edge,” said Vigneault, as per The Province. “If it works out, it’s a good line. Our scouts felt really highly that Kassian has the potential to be a top-six forward and get there fairly quick. How long that’s going to take, I’m not quite sure. He has obviously caught our attention as far as the skill level and the physicality that he can bring. Like any young player, can he maintain it and will it continue? Those are the questions we’re going to get answered.”
Both Kassian and Booth were acquired for their straight-ahead style, a style that’s more commonly known in Vancouver as the completely opposite way Mason Raymond plays.
“I’m working hard because it can be taken away from you in a second and it’s a privilege to play with those guys,” said Kassian. “I want to open up the ice as much as possible and give Kesler a little bit more time with the puck. My role is to be hard on the forecheck and create room and I’m just going to keep doing that.”
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 12
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 34
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 72
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'