Mar 6, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Just about everything seemed to be going right for the Colorado Avalanche tonight. Sure, the Minnesota Wild are in nosedive mode, but the bottom line is that the Avs are doing what they need to do – and more – in what ended up being a 7-1 beating.
Unfortunately for Colorado,a nice win on national TV might cost the team its streaky young star Matt Duchene. The 21-year-old forward needed help to get off the ice after an unlucky accident in which he locked skates with Minnesota Wild Nick Palmieri
The way his leg moved, it certainly didn’t look good, either. Check out video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Adrian Dater provides a medium update: it is a right ankle injury, but a “prognosis” won’t come until tomorrow.
Duchene might not be the most consistent offensive performer, but when he’s on his game, the third overall selection of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft is one of the NHL’s flashiest forces. Losing his touch could be a brutal blow for an Avalanche team stuck in a rugged playoff bubble battle out West.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)