Mar 6, 2012, 11:30 PM EDT
Just about everything seemed to be going right for the Colorado Avalanche tonight. Sure, the Minnesota Wild are in nosedive mode, but the bottom line is that the Avs are doing what they need to do – and more – in what ended up being a 7-1 beating.
Unfortunately for Colorado,a nice win on national TV might cost the team its streaky young star Matt Duchene. The 21-year-old forward needed help to get off the ice after an unlucky accident in which he locked skates with Minnesota Wild Nick Palmieri
The way his leg moved, it certainly didn’t look good, either. Check out video below:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Adrian Dater provides a medium update: it is a right ankle injury, but a “prognosis” won’t come until tomorrow.
Duchene might not be the most consistent offensive performer, but when he’s on his game, the third overall selection of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft is one of the NHL’s flashiest forces. Losing his touch could be a brutal blow for an Avalanche team stuck in a rugged playoff bubble battle out West.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 13
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)