Mar 6, 2012, 10:11 PM EDT
The Randy Carlyle-fueled Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t get embarrassed against the Boston Bruins like the Ron Wilson model, but they still left tonight’s game empty-handed. The Bruins won a bruising battle 5-4 to take a 5-0 advantage in the two teams’ wildly one-sided season series.
Considering the fact that the previous four contests carried a whopping 23-6 goal differential, it’s easy to call the Buds’ effort more respectable. Still, their fans might look back at this mismatch with added bitterness if Toronto misses the playoffs by a small margin.
It’s possible that the Maple Leafs lost more than just the game, too. James Mirtle reports that Joffrey Lupul and Colby Armstrong‘s equipment wasn’t removed from the Leafs’ locker room, which implies that both forwards might be unavailable for Wednesday’s contest against the Penguins in Pittsburgh.
That’s a rough home debut, especially since moral victories just aren’t good enough in playoff-starved Toronto.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)