Mar 6, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
There’s no sugarcoating it – the Boston Bruins own the Toronto Maple Leafs. The last four times the teams have met, the B’s have outscored the Buds by a combined 23-6 margin.
Tonight the two sides renew acquaintances at the Air Canada Centre, and new Leafs coach Randy Carlyle knows his team can’t get humiliated again.
“We’re playing against the Stanley Cup champions. We know what kind of hockey club they have. We know the record that we have had against them. That to some degree is embarrassing,” Carlyle told reporters this morning.
“The message is that we better be prepared to play the type of hockey that is going to be necessary to win the little battles or we’re going to be embarrassed. And we can’t be embarrassed in our own building.”
Jonas Gustavsson will make his third straight start in goal for the Leafs. The Bruins pumped five past the Monster in a 6-3 Boston win on Nov. 30 at the ACC.
The Leafs sit 12th in the Eastern Conference, five points back of eighth-place Winnipeg.
Meanwhile, the home team isn’t the only one that could use a win. The B’s have lost two straight and are a troubling 10-12-2 since Jan. 14.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 11
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 13
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 24
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 27
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)