Mar 6, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
There’s no sugarcoating it – the Boston Bruins own the Toronto Maple Leafs. The last four times the teams have met, the B’s have outscored the Buds by a combined 23-6 margin.
Tonight the two sides renew acquaintances at the Air Canada Centre, and new Leafs coach Randy Carlyle knows his team can’t get humiliated again.
“We’re playing against the Stanley Cup champions. We know what kind of hockey club they have. We know the record that we have had against them. That to some degree is embarrassing,” Carlyle told reporters this morning.
“The message is that we better be prepared to play the type of hockey that is going to be necessary to win the little battles or we’re going to be embarrassed. And we can’t be embarrassed in our own building.”
Jonas Gustavsson will make his third straight start in goal for the Leafs. The Bruins pumped five past the Monster in a 6-3 Boston win on Nov. 30 at the ACC.
The Leafs sit 12th in the Eastern Conference, five points back of eighth-place Winnipeg.
Meanwhile, the home team isn’t the only one that could use a win. The B’s have lost two straight and are a troubling 10-12-2 since Jan. 14.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)