Mar 6, 2012, 2:57 PM EST
There’s no sugarcoating it – the Boston Bruins own the Toronto Maple Leafs. The last four times the teams have met, the B’s have outscored the Buds by a combined 23-6 margin.
Tonight the two sides renew acquaintances at the Air Canada Centre, and new Leafs coach Randy Carlyle knows his team can’t get humiliated again.
“We’re playing against the Stanley Cup champions. We know what kind of hockey club they have. We know the record that we have had against them. That to some degree is embarrassing,” Carlyle told reporters this morning.
“The message is that we better be prepared to play the type of hockey that is going to be necessary to win the little battles or we’re going to be embarrassed. And we can’t be embarrassed in our own building.”
Jonas Gustavsson will make his third straight start in goal for the Leafs. The Bruins pumped five past the Monster in a 6-3 Boston win on Nov. 30 at the ACC.
The Leafs sit 12th in the Eastern Conference, five points back of eighth-place Winnipeg.
Meanwhile, the home team isn’t the only one that could use a win. The B’s have lost two straight and are a troubling 10-12-2 since Jan. 14.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)