Mar 6, 2012, 2:57 PM EDT
There’s no sugarcoating it – the Boston Bruins own the Toronto Maple Leafs. The last four times the teams have met, the B’s have outscored the Buds by a combined 23-6 margin.
Tonight the two sides renew acquaintances at the Air Canada Centre, and new Leafs coach Randy Carlyle knows his team can’t get humiliated again.
“We’re playing against the Stanley Cup champions. We know what kind of hockey club they have. We know the record that we have had against them. That to some degree is embarrassing,” Carlyle told reporters this morning.
“The message is that we better be prepared to play the type of hockey that is going to be necessary to win the little battles or we’re going to be embarrassed. And we can’t be embarrassed in our own building.”
Jonas Gustavsson will make his third straight start in goal for the Leafs. The Bruins pumped five past the Monster in a 6-3 Boston win on Nov. 30 at the ACC.
The Leafs sit 12th in the Eastern Conference, five points back of eighth-place Winnipeg.
Meanwhile, the home team isn’t the only one that could use a win. The B’s have lost two straight and are a troubling 10-12-2 since Jan. 14.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 8
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)