Mar 6, 2012, 3:36 PM EDT
Last week, former L.A. Kings great Marcel Dionne had some harsh words for Anze Kopitar.
“Kopitar’s is at the point in his career where he has to decide what he wants to do,” Dionne said, before unfavorably comparing L.A.’s leading scorer to Mats Sundin. “He needs a wake-up call.”
This week, Kopitar responded.
“Could it be better? Absolutely,” Kopitar told Mayors Manor when asked to analyze his play. “I do feel I can put a little more into my game. It hasn’t been [recently] where it’s been at times [in the past].
“I know I can dominate games and lead the team by example, definitely. It’s just a matter of doing it every night. That’s a challenge for me.”
At first glance, Kopitar’s season hasn’t been horrible. He’s posted 55 points in 65 games which, given L.A.’s anemic offense, is a pretty decent total (he’s on pace for 69 points this season.)
“I want to win in this league and that’s what I want to be known for, is making key plays at key times and big plays and scoring big goals,” he explained. “If it’s the 25th or the 35th [goal], it doesn’t really matter. As long as we play up to our potential and are winning games, that’s going to make me a better player and be known around the league for that.”
Overall, Kopitar seemed unfazed by Dionne’s criticisms.
(Note: Dionne actually works for L.A. as a Royal Ambassador, “a new and important outreach initiative of the Kings business operations division that includes the Kings’ Fan Development and Community Relations departments.” Because nothing says ambassador like carving the team’s leading scorer!)
“It’s not that I don’t care, but I try not to let it affect me,” Kopitar said. “There’s a lot of guys around the league. Some guys like you, some guys don’t like you.
“I think if every player, not just me, read all of the things written and cared or got frustrated with all the comments, I don’t think it would be very good psychologically for anybody.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53