Mar 6, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
From the “Why didn’t you say anything earlier?” file…
The Philadelphia Flyers made a jersey modification on Tuesday, adding an “N” to the surname of defenseman Nicklas Grossmann. Even though he’s been playing in the NHL for six seasons as “Nicklas Grossman,” a secret has been in hiding.
“I just started off and they put it on the wrong way and I just kept it like that,” he told reporters following the Flyers’ morning skate. “My dad said something a while ago, why is it spelled wrong, and I said that’s the way it came and I didn’t change it.”
It was Flyers Director of Team Services Bryan Hardenbergh who noticed recently that Grossman’s name was spelled one way on his jersey and a different way on his passport.
“He (Hardenbergh) came up to me and said I notice your name (on your jersey) is a little different than what’s in your passport and I said that (the passport) is what it should be,” Grossman said. “He said we can change it for you, so I said OK.”
Glad that’s resolved. Hopefully it won’t take another six years for Grossmann to reveal his first name is actually Gary.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)