Mar 6, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
From the “Why didn’t you say anything earlier?” file…
The Philadelphia Flyers made a jersey modification on Tuesday, adding an “N” to the surname of defenseman Nicklas Grossmann. Even though he’s been playing in the NHL for six seasons as “Nicklas Grossman,” a secret has been in hiding.
“I just started off and they put it on the wrong way and I just kept it like that,” he told reporters following the Flyers’ morning skate. “My dad said something a while ago, why is it spelled wrong, and I said that’s the way it came and I didn’t change it.”
It was Flyers Director of Team Services Bryan Hardenbergh who noticed recently that Grossman’s name was spelled one way on his jersey and a different way on his passport.
“He (Hardenbergh) came up to me and said I notice your name (on your jersey) is a little different than what’s in your passport and I said that (the passport) is what it should be,” Grossman said. “He said we can change it for you, so I said OK.”
Glad that’s resolved. Hopefully it won’t take another six years for Grossmann to reveal his first name is actually Gary.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)