Mar 6, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT
From the “Why didn’t you say anything earlier?” file…
The Philadelphia Flyers made a jersey modification on Tuesday, adding an “N” to the surname of defenseman Nicklas Grossmann. Even though he’s been playing in the NHL for six seasons as “Nicklas Grossman,” a secret has been in hiding.
“I just started off and they put it on the wrong way and I just kept it like that,” he told reporters following the Flyers’ morning skate. “My dad said something a while ago, why is it spelled wrong, and I said that’s the way it came and I didn’t change it.”
It was Flyers Director of Team Services Bryan Hardenbergh who noticed recently that Grossman’s name was spelled one way on his jersey and a different way on his passport.
“He (Hardenbergh) came up to me and said I notice your name (on your jersey) is a little different than what’s in your passport and I said that (the passport) is what it should be,” Grossman said. “He said we can change it for you, so I said OK.”
Glad that’s resolved. Hopefully it won’t take another six years for Grossmann to reveal his first name is actually Gary.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)