Mar 6, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
When Don Cherry lashed out at Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke on Saturday night about Burke’s apparent lack of players from Ontario, you just knew Burke wouldn’t stay quiet for long.
During an interview with Canadian radio station Newstalk 1010, Burke was asked about Cherry’s comments and he made it clear that Cherry may not know what he’s talking about. Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun sums it up.
Burke says that over his first three drafts with the Maple Leafs: “We drafted eight Ontario kids — the most of any team in the NHL.”
That’s nice and all, but they’re not with the team now, Brian.
As for whether or not he listened to Cherry’s rambling diatribe about how the Leafs need more good old Ontario kids, Burke was short and to the point.
“I didn’t hear it. I don’t listen to Coach’s Corner,” said Burke. “Why would the CBC let the facts get in the way of a good rant.”
Now that Cherry has served and Burke has served back, that means it’s on now, right?
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 0
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 7
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)