Mar 6, 2012, 9:28 AM EST
When Don Cherry lashed out at Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke on Saturday night about Burke’s apparent lack of players from Ontario, you just knew Burke wouldn’t stay quiet for long.
During an interview with Canadian radio station Newstalk 1010, Burke was asked about Cherry’s comments and he made it clear that Cherry may not know what he’s talking about. Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun sums it up.
Burke says that over his first three drafts with the Maple Leafs: “We drafted eight Ontario kids — the most of any team in the NHL.”
That’s nice and all, but they’re not with the team now, Brian.
As for whether or not he listened to Cherry’s rambling diatribe about how the Leafs need more good old Ontario kids, Burke was short and to the point.
“I didn’t hear it. I don’t listen to Coach’s Corner,” said Burke. “Why would the CBC let the facts get in the way of a good rant.”
Now that Cherry has served and Burke has served back, that means it’s on now, right?
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 11
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 28
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11