Mar 6, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
When Don Cherry lashed out at Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke on Saturday night about Burke’s apparent lack of players from Ontario, you just knew Burke wouldn’t stay quiet for long.
During an interview with Canadian radio station Newstalk 1010, Burke was asked about Cherry’s comments and he made it clear that Cherry may not know what he’s talking about. Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun sums it up.
Burke says that over his first three drafts with the Maple Leafs: “We drafted eight Ontario kids — the most of any team in the NHL.”
That’s nice and all, but they’re not with the team now, Brian.
As for whether or not he listened to Cherry’s rambling diatribe about how the Leafs need more good old Ontario kids, Burke was short and to the point.
“I didn’t hear it. I don’t listen to Coach’s Corner,” said Burke. “Why would the CBC let the facts get in the way of a good rant.”
Now that Cherry has served and Burke has served back, that means it’s on now, right?
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5