Mar 6, 2012, 2:03 PM EDT
Apparently it’s “gutless” to ask Brian Burke a tough question. Toronto’s general manager was interviewed by NewsTalk 1010 host John Moore on Tuesday, and after touching on subjects like the “You Can Play Project,” the Ron Wilson firing, and Don Cherry, the subject of Burke’s job security with the Maple Leafs was brought up. (Listen to the interview here.)
A partial transcript via the National Post:
Q: One last question for you, Brian Burke, changing coaches is always an option, but a lot of people on a panel I was hosting this weekend said it was time for the general manager to be changed.
Burke: “Well, I haven’t heard that. And I don’t know what panel you were hosting. That’s up to ownership. I wish you’d told me before you asked me to do this interview that that was going to be your last question, a nice little cheap shot before you get off the air.”
Q: I’m giving you a chance to answer it.
Burke: “Well, that’s up to ownership, when the GM gets changed. But I wish you’d told me that off the air before, you were going to take a little swing on the way out. But I guess that’s what people in your line of work do.”
Q: Well, Brian Burke, I’m not taking a swing. The possibility of a general manager being changed when a team isn’t performing well is always there. So I’m asking you if you feel like you’re close to the door.
Burke: “No, I don’t. And I think it’s an ignorant question, and a gutless one, too.”
And then he hung up.
Anyway, I’m not sure why Burke flew off the handle like that. It’s not an interviewer’s job to prep the subject. And if the Leafs miss the playoffs for the fourth time on his watch, he’d better be prepared for the question, because it deserves to be asked.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)