Mar 6, 2012, 10:04 AM EST
One of the key players the Toronto Maple Leafs worried about losing this offseason was impending UFA Mikhail Grabovski.
Worry no longer.
Grabovski signed a five-year contract extension with the Leafs with Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press confirming the deal is worth $27.5 million, good for annual cap hit of $5.5 million. While Grabovski may not lead the team in points or goals, he’s a three-time 20-goal scorer and with a tantalizing mix of speed and skill, things Leafs GM Brian Burke praised in announcing the deal.
“We are extremely pleased to have Mikhail under contract for the next five seasons,” said Burke. “His speed and skill are valuable commodities and fit perfectly with our style of play. He leads by example and his work ethic speaks for itself.”
This season, Grabovski has 20 goals and 25 assists while playing as the team’s second line center.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)