Mar 6, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
One of the key players the Toronto Maple Leafs worried about losing this offseason was impending UFA Mikhail Grabovski.
Worry no longer.
Grabovski signed a five-year contract extension with the Leafs with Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press confirming the deal is worth $27.5 million, good for annual cap hit of $5.5 million. While Grabovski may not lead the team in points or goals, he’s a three-time 20-goal scorer and with a tantalizing mix of speed and skill, things Leafs GM Brian Burke praised in announcing the deal.
“We are extremely pleased to have Mikhail under contract for the next five seasons,” said Burke. “His speed and skill are valuable commodities and fit perfectly with our style of play. He leads by example and his work ethic speaks for itself.”
This season, Grabovski has 20 goals and 25 assists while playing as the team’s second line center.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)