Mar 6, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
One of the key players the Toronto Maple Leafs worried about losing this offseason was impending UFA Mikhail Grabovski.
Worry no longer.
Grabovski signed a five-year contract extension with the Leafs with Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press confirming the deal is worth $27.5 million, good for annual cap hit of $5.5 million. While Grabovski may not lead the team in points or goals, he’s a three-time 20-goal scorer and with a tantalizing mix of speed and skill, things Leafs GM Brian Burke praised in announcing the deal.
“We are extremely pleased to have Mikhail under contract for the next five seasons,” said Burke. “His speed and skill are valuable commodities and fit perfectly with our style of play. He leads by example and his work ethic speaks for itself.”
This season, Grabovski has 20 goals and 25 assists while playing as the team’s second line center.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)