Mar 6, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
One of the key players the Toronto Maple Leafs worried about losing this offseason was impending UFA Mikhail Grabovski.
Worry no longer.
Grabovski signed a five-year contract extension with the Leafs with Chris Johnston of The Canadian Press confirming the deal is worth $27.5 million, good for annual cap hit of $5.5 million. While Grabovski may not lead the team in points or goals, he’s a three-time 20-goal scorer and with a tantalizing mix of speed and skill, things Leafs GM Brian Burke praised in announcing the deal.
“We are extremely pleased to have Mikhail under contract for the next five seasons,” said Burke. “His speed and skill are valuable commodities and fit perfectly with our style of play. He leads by example and his work ethic speaks for itself.”
This season, Grabovski has 20 goals and 25 assists while playing as the team’s second line center.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 0
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 8
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 51
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)