Mar 6, 2012, 8:01 PM EST
Goalies seem like they’ve been dropping like flies lately, but at least they’re (mostly) doing so in the line of duty.
From Tuukka Rask to Niklas Backstrom, making saves has become a dangerous proposition. The Tampa Bay Lightning must be biting their nails regarding the status of Mathieu Garon, who seemed to tweak something in the first period of tonight’s game against the Ottawa Senators.
If Garon ends up being sidelined anywhere near as long as Rask and Backstrom, the Lightning will be forced to turn to someone who should have been their starting goalie in the first place: Dwayne Roloson.
The 42-year-old goalie has been an absolute disaster this season, with sub-NHL individual numbers (.880 save percentage, 3.76 GAA) and an 8-12-2 record.
That being said, his up-and-down career’s best moments seem to come when people expect little of him, so maybe he’ll provide one more burst of magic to help Tampa Bay continue its improbable playoff push.
Of course, this could all be a false alarm, but other teams haven’t been so lucky lately.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)