Mar 5, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Getting in front of a slap shot is one of the dangers of being a hockey player. When you’re Zach Parise of the Devils, steering clear of blue line bombs is in your best interest, but it’s unavoidable at times. Such was the case yesterday afternoon when Parise took a Milan Jurcina slap shot off his hand.
Now, Parise is just hoping that there aren’t any lingering effects from getting in the way. As he tells Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice, he’s really hoping his hand isn’t broken.
“It’s OK,” Parise said. “I just took a puck into it. It hurt for a little while, but it’s OK.”
Parise said he had not had an X-ray on his hand yet. When I asked him if he needed one, he said, “I hope not.”
Parise didn’t miss any action after getting hit, so at the very least adrenaline kept him playing. The Devils already have Travis Zajac out of action and if Parise’s hand is busted, they’re in deep trouble.
Going without Zajac has been tricky but doable. Going without Parise would up the pressure on Ilya Kovalchuk, Patrik Elias, and Adam Henrique to produce big numbers. With the playoffs coming up soon, that’s one stress the Devils would like to avoid.
Update (9:53 a.m. ET): The joy of the Internet, moments after this was posted, Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger hears from Lou Lamoriello that x-rays on Parise’s hand were negative. Go ahead and exhale, New Jersey.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)