Mar 5, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
Last night’s 1-0 Flyers win over the Capitals didn’t come without its share of drama. While Ilya Bryzgalov was busy earning accolades for the shutout, questions surrounded the absence of Alex Ovechkin during the second period.
For over seven minutes following the only goal of the game, Ovechkin sat planted at the end of the bench. Perhaps because he admittedly turned the puck over then later failed to block the shot that led to the goal.
“It’s tough loss for us, I think,” Ovechkin told reporters. “My mistake cost us two points and it cost us the game.”
Coach Dale Hunter, meanwhile, denied he benched his leading scorer.
“Guys, it’s not a benching. Maybe he missed a shift. Guys, I was matching lines,” Hunter explained. “I definitely was matching lines, it was one of those things that he wasn’t the right match up. I didn’t want him against [Jaromir] Jagr and Jagr’s line.”
Fair enough. But when a guy sits for over seven minutes, that sure seems like a benching.
And if Ovechkin was being taught a lesson in accountability, as CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley asserts, it points to a bigger problem for the Caps – the fact its captain has to be taught accountability with the season on the line.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)