Mar 5, 2012, 4:36 PM EST
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville sounded optimistic on Monday when addressing the status of Jonathan Toews (concussion).
“”He had a good day off the ice today,” Quenneville told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He worked out and was fine. We’re hopeful that [his return] is soon.
“I can’t give you an ideal date, but today is encouraging.”
Toews has missed seven consecutive contests with what’s now being called a concussion, though it should be mentioned the ‘Hawks official website is still classifying it as an “upper-body injury.”
He’ll miss his eighth game Tuesday in St. Louis and given that he’s yet to resume skating, it’s likely Toews will miss Friday’s home date with the Rangers as well.
As for specifics about Toews condition? Ha, good luck. Quenneville was adamant Toews’ car accident on Feb. 23 had nothing to do with his current condition — “I don’t think it has anything to do with where we’re at,” he said — and there’s still no confirmation of a report claiming the 23-year-old suffered the injury on Feb. 10 against San Jose and proceeded to play five games with a concussion.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)