Mar 5, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville sounded optimistic on Monday when addressing the status of Jonathan Toews (concussion).
“”He had a good day off the ice today,” Quenneville told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He worked out and was fine. We’re hopeful that [his return] is soon.
“I can’t give you an ideal date, but today is encouraging.”
Toews has missed seven consecutive contests with what’s now being called a concussion, though it should be mentioned the ‘Hawks official website is still classifying it as an “upper-body injury.”
He’ll miss his eighth game Tuesday in St. Louis and given that he’s yet to resume skating, it’s likely Toews will miss Friday’s home date with the Rangers as well.
As for specifics about Toews condition? Ha, good luck. Quenneville was adamant Toews’ car accident on Feb. 23 had nothing to do with his current condition — “I don’t think it has anything to do with where we’re at,” he said — and there’s still no confirmation of a report claiming the 23-year-old suffered the injury on Feb. 10 against San Jose and proceeded to play five games with a concussion.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 3
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)