Mar 5, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville sounded optimistic on Monday when addressing the status of Jonathan Toews (concussion).
“”He had a good day off the ice today,” Quenneville told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He worked out and was fine. We’re hopeful that [his return] is soon.
“I can’t give you an ideal date, but today is encouraging.”
Toews has missed seven consecutive contests with what’s now being called a concussion, though it should be mentioned the ‘Hawks official website is still classifying it as an “upper-body injury.”
He’ll miss his eighth game Tuesday in St. Louis and given that he’s yet to resume skating, it’s likely Toews will miss Friday’s home date with the Rangers as well.
As for specifics about Toews condition? Ha, good luck. Quenneville was adamant Toews’ car accident on Feb. 23 had nothing to do with his current condition — “I don’t think it has anything to do with where we’re at,” he said — and there’s still no confirmation of a report claiming the 23-year-old suffered the injury on Feb. 10 against San Jose and proceeded to play five games with a concussion.
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 10
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 14
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 17
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 7
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 41
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 28
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)