Mar 5, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville sounded optimistic on Monday when addressing the status of Jonathan Toews (concussion).
“”He had a good day off the ice today,” Quenneville told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He worked out and was fine. We’re hopeful that [his return] is soon.
“I can’t give you an ideal date, but today is encouraging.”
Toews has missed seven consecutive contests with what’s now being called a concussion, though it should be mentioned the ‘Hawks official website is still classifying it as an “upper-body injury.”
He’ll miss his eighth game Tuesday in St. Louis and given that he’s yet to resume skating, it’s likely Toews will miss Friday’s home date with the Rangers as well.
As for specifics about Toews condition? Ha, good luck. Quenneville was adamant Toews’ car accident on Feb. 23 had nothing to do with his current condition — “I don’t think it has anything to do with where we’re at,” he said — and there’s still no confirmation of a report claiming the 23-year-old suffered the injury on Feb. 10 against San Jose and proceeded to play five games with a concussion.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (74)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)