Mar 5, 2012, 3:31 PM EST
Last week Ontario’s finance minister, Dwight Duncan, wrote to his federal counterpart, Jim Flaherty, proposing the government end corporate tax write-offs for tickets to professional sports.
The Ottawa Senators responded by saying such a move would put them out of business.
Today Flaherty added his two cents. And the Sens will like what he had to say.
“We have much bigger issues than that and I was quite frankly disappointed that this has been made into some sort of major issue,” said Flaherty, as reported by The Globe and Mail.
Flaherty added: “Ontario has fundamental budgeting problems. They have major spending problems that built up over eight years. And I’m not into scapegoating. I’m not into side issues.”
A couple of thoughts:
—- Flaherty has a point. Ontario has a $16-billion deficit. Ending sports-ticket write-offs would purportedly add $15 million in annual revenue, which is a very small drop in a very big bucket. However, it makes sense politically for the center-left Ontario Liberal Party to go after the suits in the good seats.
—- Flaherty is a conservative that, for partisan reasons, will be loath to endorse anything Duncan’s party puts forward.
Politicians. Can’t live with ‘em, pass the beer nuts.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)