Mar 5, 2012, 3:08 PM EST
With just 18 games to go in the regular season, the San Jose Sharks find themselves in an unfamiliar position — fighting for their playoff lives.
It’s a weird spot for the Sharks, who have won four consecutive Pacific Division titles and haven’t been lower than a No. 5 seed since the lockout.
Heading into Monday night’s action, they sit eighth in the Western Conference, one point up on ninth-place Los Angeles.
So yeah, unique times.
“I think our players fully understand where we’re at,” Sharks assistant Jamie Woodcroft told CSN Bay Area. “Certainly if you look at the standings board in the Western Conference its real tight. That provides all the motivation our team needs.”
The Sharks sound concerned — though not panicked — about their current state, and there seems to be a realization across the board that while talented, they don’t always work hard enough.
“We are obviously in a funk,” defenseman Douglas Murray said. “We need to get out of it. We have to work hard, it is the same old cliche, but we just have to get it going.”
“The one thing you can control is your work ethic,” alternate captain Dan Boyle added. “Some nights the puck is not going to bounce in. But you can work, you can control that.
“With the talent we have in this locker room, I think if we work harder than other teams, we’re going to win most nights.”
What the Sharks really need to work on is finding the back of the net. They’ve scored just 16 goals in their last nine games and are 2-7-0 over that stretch, though some of that can be chalked up to working a trio of new forwards — Dominic Moore, T.J. Galiardi and Daniel Winnik — into the lineup.
The Sharks are also very cognizant of their current reality. If they don’t turn things around soon, they’ll miss the playoffs for the first time since 2003.
“It seemed like it was always the race for 1, 2 or 3,” said Ryan Clowe, who has been to the playoffs in each of his six seasons in San Jose. “Now it’s the race to get in there. If we go on a run, we’ll set ourselves up nice. But the important thing is that you don’t want to wait until that last minute.
“We’ve got to put it together right now.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)