Mar 5, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
Would you consider your back part of your lower body?
NHL injury reports occasionally bring about such “philosophical” discussions, but it seems like those usually don’t happen until the playoffs – when teams employ such smoke-and-mirrors tactics that they might as well just call every issue a “bodily ailment.” Perhaps the Philadelphia Flyers weren’t trying to be coy with the initial reports of Kimmo Timonen‘s issues, but CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio sheds some light on the situation.
Apparently the Finnish blueliner is dealing with back problems, although the good news is that it doesn’t appear to be a major disc-related headache. The best news is that Panaccio reports that “he isn’t expected to be out long.”
Even one game might be a blow to Timonen, however, as he appeared in 248 consecutive games.
Strong season for Timonen
Timonen’s been a great asset for Philly so far in 2011-12, as his 36 points leaves him just one point behind last year’s mark and three behind the 39 he scored in 2009-10. He still has a shot of beating his best-ever numbers with Philly (44 points in 07-08), but his chance of matching his overall career-high of 55 points from his Nashville Predators days took a big blow – even if he only misses minimal time.
Ultimately, the Flyers probably only care that he’s close to 100 percent by the time the playoffs roll around in early April, though.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)