Mar 5, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
Would you consider your back part of your lower body?
NHL injury reports occasionally bring about such “philosophical” discussions, but it seems like those usually don’t happen until the playoffs – when teams employ such smoke-and-mirrors tactics that they might as well just call every issue a “bodily ailment.” Perhaps the Philadelphia Flyers weren’t trying to be coy with the initial reports of Kimmo Timonen‘s issues, but CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio sheds some light on the situation.
Apparently the Finnish blueliner is dealing with back problems, although the good news is that it doesn’t appear to be a major disc-related headache. The best news is that Panaccio reports that “he isn’t expected to be out long.”
Even one game might be a blow to Timonen, however, as he appeared in 248 consecutive games.
Strong season for Timonen
Timonen’s been a great asset for Philly so far in 2011-12, as his 36 points leaves him just one point behind last year’s mark and three behind the 39 he scored in 2009-10. He still has a shot of beating his best-ever numbers with Philly (44 points in 07-08), but his chance of matching his overall career-high of 55 points from his Nashville Predators days took a big blow – even if he only misses minimal time.
Ultimately, the Flyers probably only care that he’s close to 100 percent by the time the playoffs roll around in early April, though.
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)