Mar 5, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling the bite of the injury bug at a most inopportune time. The Wings are in the hunt for the Central Division title and a shot at the top seed in the West, but with Todd Bertuzzi dealing with a nagging groin injury and seeing both Jakub Kindl and Jimmy Howard knocked out of yesterday’s game against Chicago, it’s time to call up the reserves.
Bill Roose of the Red Wings’ website reports that Detroit has recalled forward Chris Conner, defenseman Doug Janik, and goalie Jordan Pearce from the AHL to help fill the skates of those three starters. Conner and Janik have had a taste of action this season for Detroit already while Pearce will ride the pine behind Joey MacDonald.
While none of the injuries to the three starters are believed to be long-term, losing guys in a tight playoff race hurts. With Detroit already dealing with Nicklas Lidstrom and Jonathan Ericsson injuries, losing Kindl is especially difficult. We’ve seen Detroit withstand issues all season but even this spate of injuries is asking a lot of them.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)