Mar 5, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling the bite of the injury bug at a most inopportune time. The Wings are in the hunt for the Central Division title and a shot at the top seed in the West, but with Todd Bertuzzi dealing with a nagging groin injury and seeing both Jakub Kindl and Jimmy Howard knocked out of yesterday’s game against Chicago, it’s time to call up the reserves.
Bill Roose of the Red Wings’ website reports that Detroit has recalled forward Chris Conner, defenseman Doug Janik, and goalie Jordan Pearce from the AHL to help fill the skates of those three starters. Conner and Janik have had a taste of action this season for Detroit already while Pearce will ride the pine behind Joey MacDonald.
While none of the injuries to the three starters are believed to be long-term, losing guys in a tight playoff race hurts. With Detroit already dealing with Nicklas Lidstrom and Jonathan Ericsson injuries, losing Kindl is especially difficult. We’ve seen Detroit withstand issues all season but even this spate of injuries is asking a lot of them.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 10
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 36
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)