Mar 5, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling the bite of the injury bug at a most inopportune time. The Wings are in the hunt for the Central Division title and a shot at the top seed in the West, but with Todd Bertuzzi dealing with a nagging groin injury and seeing both Jakub Kindl and Jimmy Howard knocked out of yesterday’s game against Chicago, it’s time to call up the reserves.
Bill Roose of the Red Wings’ website reports that Detroit has recalled forward Chris Conner, defenseman Doug Janik, and goalie Jordan Pearce from the AHL to help fill the skates of those three starters. Conner and Janik have had a taste of action this season for Detroit already while Pearce will ride the pine behind Joey MacDonald.
While none of the injuries to the three starters are believed to be long-term, losing guys in a tight playoff race hurts. With Detroit already dealing with Nicklas Lidstrom and Jonathan Ericsson injuries, losing Kindl is especially difficult. We’ve seen Detroit withstand issues all season but even this spate of injuries is asking a lot of them.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)