Mar 5, 2012, 11:17 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are feeling the bite of the injury bug at a most inopportune time. The Wings are in the hunt for the Central Division title and a shot at the top seed in the West, but with Todd Bertuzzi dealing with a nagging groin injury and seeing both Jakub Kindl and Jimmy Howard knocked out of yesterday’s game against Chicago, it’s time to call up the reserves.
Bill Roose of the Red Wings’ website reports that Detroit has recalled forward Chris Conner, defenseman Doug Janik, and goalie Jordan Pearce from the AHL to help fill the skates of those three starters. Conner and Janik have had a taste of action this season for Detroit already while Pearce will ride the pine behind Joey MacDonald.
While none of the injuries to the three starters are believed to be long-term, losing guys in a tight playoff race hurts. With Detroit already dealing with Nicklas Lidstrom and Jonathan Ericsson injuries, losing Kindl is especially difficult. We’ve seen Detroit withstand issues all season but even this spate of injuries is asking a lot of them.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35